VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to add some special effects to some video i captured from my summer vacation with my digital photo camera.

But i see that there are a lot of products out there.

There is sony veges,adobe premiere adobe after effects and many more.

Which one shall i use in order to achieve impressive results without needing to go to deep?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Special effects are an art form unto themselves. Go effects, like anything else, take time, planning and practice. There is no program that "does special effects". There are tools that help you produce the desired outcome. The better the tool, the more time you have to invest to learn it.

Also, special effects is a meaningless and broad term. What exactly are you trying to do ? Do you want titles or CGI or animation ? There are many different types of effects, which usually require different tools, and often several different tools.

Start with a more specific question, and you might get a more specific answer.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You're right i dont really know whati want exactly.I just to want to have the potential to create innovative and artistic stuff.Just to be creative,but dont have anything in mind.

Like low motion/rewind and then slow motion again scenes.Explosions,burning man and stuff like that!

I have seen some youtube clips of tutorials for various such apps and i just want to limit my options and get to work.

Can i at least get an overview of which such non linear editors are good for whatever purpose they serve?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to check out EffectsLab Pro (http://www.fxhome.com). You can see some samples of what it can do and download a demo version. It seems easy as far as special effects editing goes and is reasonably priced.

Adobe After Effects is a powerful tool but is has a steep learning curve and steep price.

There are other video editors that offer simpler effects editing. The freeware Wax video editor allows for various effects for transitions.

You best bet is to check out the web sites for the products, look at the samples and see if they offer what you might want. Then download the demos and see if its something you think you would be willing to learn to use. Finally look at the costs, then make your decision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by therock003
    You're right i dont really know whati want exactly.I just to want to have the potential to create innovative and artistic stuff.Just to be creative,but dont have anything in mind.

Like low motion/rewind and then slow motion again scenes.Explosions,burning man and stuff like that!

I have seen some youtube clips of tutorials for various such apps and i just want to limit my options and get to work.

Can i at least get an overview of which such non linear editors are good for whatever purpose they serve?
    No program is going to do all of that for you, and the ones that can do even some of it will take years of learning to become proficient.

Some editors can do some of these things - Vegas' Velocity Envelopes can do slow motion, fast motion and reverse based on keyframes. You can bring a clip to a full stop in a single frame, ramp out slowly, then accelerate, all on the timeline.

Explosions can be done by compositing video clips over your own, or by creating true volumetric fire in a 3D program.

If you really want to do this, then you have to give it the time and learn how it works. There is no magical program with a nice, big, friendly "Make Special Effects" button.

FXLab is no easier to learn or use that After Effects, or Combustion, or Digital Fusion, or Nuke.

If you can't be bothered learning how to do it, you need to find another hobby.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote