VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to deal with this issue? I notice that I'll get some divx movies like the IMAX movies, and most of them will not play on my philips dvp5992, which supports usb and divx files. It says "Video Resolution not Supported", but you hear the audio. Is there a way I can configure this or how do I troubleshoot this? Bad dvd player with limited resolution settings or are those movies too high that need to be toned down with software conversion?

I looked at the specs of the phllips dvp 5992 and it supports 1080i/p. It's supposed to handle several types of media files and xvid and divx formats since it just came out this year. A lot of my divx videos are in HD, which is awesome, and I didn't notice any problems with those. In fact, I can see it in the video settings. I just have the thing currently set at 'auto' thinking that the player knows when to switch according to the divx file. It tries to load the file and then quickly blinks "video resolution not supported" and plays the file with only the audio and a blank default colored video screen.

Can someone provide pointers who may have this model?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Very few divx dvd players supports HD divx video. Your DVD Player can just upconvert to 1080i/p, not play divx with HD resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We get this all the time. Your player sends output to your TV in 1080i/p. That DOES NOT IN ANY WAY mean that it can play any video with a resolution greater than that of DVD. In fact you can count the number of DVD players with one hand that are even capable of HD Divx playback and Philips doesn't make any of them. Your only "solution" is to re-encode the video to DVD (720x576) or smaller resolution if you want to play it on this player. Sorry, but this is quite normal and unfortunately you (and many others) misunderstood what the 1080i/p claim really meant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What they said.

You should be able to use your PC to drive the 1080p/i video to your HDTV without having to downconvert the video, though.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback people. Yes, I realize this would be a common issue. I need to read in on this upconvert and down convert stuff as it's something that I don't know in detail. How do you tell if a divx is HD divx? Is it just the dimensions of the resolution or can you tell from the file properties? (without the author labeling that of course).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike69
    Thanks for the feedback people. Yes, I realize this would be a common issue. I need to read in on this upconvert and down convert stuff as it's something that I don't know in detail. How do you tell if a divx is HD divx? Is it just the dimensions of the resolution or can you tell from the file properties? (without the author labeling that of course).
    I would think the most obvious thing would be the resolution, though someone could invariably take a SD-resolution video and convert it to HD-resolution.... Which is sorta what upconverting DVD players do.
    Frank Zappa: "People wouldn't know a good movie if it smacked 'em in the face."
    Quote Quote  
  7. SD NTSC: 720x480 29.97 fps
    SD PAL: 720x576 25 fps

Above that won't play in a DVP-5992.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Full D1 resolution is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL although most DivX and XviD files are 640x480 etc.

In short you can't play anything over 720x576 with your Philips. The resolution can match that or be less but it cannot be more.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

*** EDIT ***
    Sorry jagabo but I didn't see your post somehow
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity, which dvd players are able to play HD Divx/Xvid natively? and do they have usb input?
    Quote Quote  
  10. not worth the investment.expansive,few selection+many bad reviews

I think PS3 does support HD Divx not 100% sure (FulciLives may knows since he own one)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/PS3-Now-Supports-HD-DivX-XviD-Playback-74360.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by MJA
    not worth the investment.expansive,few selection+many bad reviews
    I agree -- except maybe the Popcorn Hour. People that have them seem to like them. The most flexible solution is an HTPC, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for all your feedback
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Sony PS3 rocks

It can do 1080p and 720p DivX and XviD with AC-3 audio (as well as the more common MP3 audio).

It can do H.264 video at 1080p or 720p as a MP4 file with 5.1 AAC-LC audio or 2.0 AAC-LC audio. It can also do H.264 video at 1080p or 720p with AC-3 audio in the form of a M2TS file.

When it comes to the Sony PS3 the program XVID4PSP is the best way to encode for XviD (sorry no DivX but XviD works and is basically the same thing). XVID4PSP is also great for Sony PS3 MP4 or M2TS file creation.

The PS3 will also of course support SD resolutions like 720x480 or 720x576 or 640x480 etc.

One last thing I should add ... there is no real file size limit with the PS3 but it can only read FAT32 external USB hard disk drives so for files bigger than 4GB you have to burn to a single or dual layer DVD or stream from a computer to the PS3. If you are worried that the streaming may cause stuttered playback ... no worries! You can copy the file to the PS3's built-in HDD (where there is no file size limit like FAT32) and it will do this as a file copy just like on a computer. You can then play the file back from the built-in HDD without worrying about your network choking on the bandwidth while playing back. Of course if your network is slow the file copy will be slow but better to do it as a file copy because then playback is not affected by a slow network.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Full D1 resolution is 720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL although most DivX and XviD files are 640x480 etc.

In short you can't play anything over 720x576 with your Philips. The resolution can match that or be less but it cannot be more.

===============================================
    I have a 5982 and I get this alll the time anything over the above resolutions. You have to convert the files to a resolution less than or = the above. I use WINAVI set at 720x480 NTSC . Works great for any HD files. It only takes 30 to 60 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you video stream from PC to PS3? I currently have PS3 connected through wireless router, if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agidol
    How do you video stream from PC to PS3? I currently have PS3 connected through wireless router, if that helps.
    TVersity is a popular media server for use with the PS3 and it runs under Windows XP and Vista (perhaps other versions as well but I don't know for sure). From what I have heard it is considered the "best" of it's kind if you run Microsoft Windows.

I use Linux and use a media server called MediaTomb and it works rather well for me. Note I use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu. Please note that MediaTomb is also available for Mac OS X but not for Microsoft Windows.

When it comes to the PS3 you want what is called a "UPnP MediaServer". So feel free to try my suggestions as well as doing a google search for "UPnP MediaServer".

Good Luck

P.S.
    This might be a good thing to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Bad DVD player?" This is undoubtedly the best DVD player for the money. Do at least some rudimentary research before you whine. Upconversion doesn't mean your player will play back hi-def movies.

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and be though a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PS3 Media Server is working very well for me - better than TVersity - but methinks we are drifting away from the original question.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just last week ... I converted a divx movie to HD 720 and expected it to play ... I was wize to burn it to a DVD RW ... I went back to the PC and redid it and it did play but not with a HD resolution
    Quote Quote  
  20. Last night I watched a HD WMV, HD MKV and a HD Divx and a copy of a SD DVD on myWestern Digital HDMI USB Media Player (WDAVN00BN).

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html

With the new updated firmware it plays HD files quite nicely from a external USB drive. I've got a 500Gb and a 100Gb hooked up to mine right now.

Last night the new learning remote came in so I now have my DVR and TV and sound system and the WDC player on the one remote. PLays all kinds of formats.

Just a thought.

Cheers
    Quote Quote