VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all apologies if this is in the wrong section but it seemed like the most appropriate...

I'm trying to achieve this effect for a piece I am creating, it is a print piece so it will be stills rather than moving image.

I believe this glitchy kind of distortion is caused by bad compression or conversion somehow, does anyone know a way of how this effect can be replicated at all? I was hoping to take grabs of existing footage and "force it" to corrupt in this way.

I have been trying things such as converting footage to mpeg4 and then playing back in VLC whilst srubbing the playback head hoping to achieve this effect but its not really working.

Anyone have any ideas at all?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try using a hex editor to deliberately corrupt the video stream
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Re-encode it few times with DivX, and you'll get identical result
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I would think that a sophisticated photo editor such as Photoshop or GIMP (freeware) would probably have a way using various effects to achieve this kind of result.

I have no idea at all what "srubbing" means nor can I even think of how you could do that to a "playback head" when VLC is a software player and doesn't have any physical parts. Weird.
    Quote Quote