VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I am new here at these forums. First of all, I couldn't find a forum that best would describe my problem or issue, but hopefully there is someone out there who could guide me on to the right path...

When I record a film on my dvd recorder, I understand the file format the dvd recorder makes are .vob.

When I make a recording thru ShowView or timer, more often than not the recording will have annoying advertisements in the beginning and the end of the film, and sometimes, depending on TV station, the films have advertisement intermissions too.

Of course, advertisements of this type are of no use to anyone, they are just annoying, which makes me and everyone else want to edit or author the dvd. When uploaded to the computer, the outcome are a multiple of .vob files in the video ts folder.

As I have understood, the .vob-files are not editable as they are (or am I wrong?), they have to be converted to .mpg-files first. When this is done, there's no problem to cut out the ads from the files and make new files. There are many nice freeware programs who does that job right.

Now to my question: Before burning the authored files back to a new dvd, I presume the files have to be converted back to .vob first. Or am I wrong about this?

I have searched the internet over to find a program that convert from mpg to vob, but haven't found any at all.

Now I wonder - may be it isn't at all important to convert the mpg files back to .vob ? Or will the burner programs do that by themselves? The program i use is Roxio Burn CDs and DVDs - "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\Sonic Central\Main\Mediahub.exe" .

I wonder if someone could guide me in the right direction here, I am new at these things.

1000 thanks in advance for a prompt and rapid reply.

Many kind wishes and greetings to you all from Göteborg, Sweden!
    Please bear with me... I'm a rookie!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tmpgenc dvd author 3 will do what you want.No need to convert the vobs to mpg,just import the video_ts folder and edit out the commercials.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    .mpg files are converted into .VOB files during the authoring process, which also creates the .IFO files, and .BUP files, plus any menus that are needed, to make a playable DVD.

If you searched for DVD authoring programs, you would find a number of of those. However, Tmpgenc dvd author 3 is a good program to begin learning about authoring as well as a basic editor. I started with an earlier version of that one myself. It has a free trial too, so you can decide whether or not you like it before buying.

If you have no need for Roxio other than for burning DVDs, I would suggest ImgBurn instead. It is free, easy to use, takes up little space on a hard drive. and burns DVDs correctly.
    Quote Quote