VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Every now and then I have to reformat my computer. Maybe that is what you have to do using faboulus microsoft xp.
    Anyway, when I usually use dvd shrink, which I know uses a lot of cpu power, about 60-70% of cpu'n is used.

But now 100% is used, which means after a couple of minutes the computer just shuts off by itself, probably to prevent overheating.

I have wind.xp service pack3
    a fujitsu siemens computer with p4 cpu 3.4ghz
    2 gb ram

so it should be able to encode a movie on shrink at least.

so any ideas where I should start to dig

I would rather not format the computer again
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you have a hardware problem like overheating. It shouldn't matter if dvd shrink use 100% cpu. So I would check the computer fans and monitor the cpu temperature while running dvd shrink for example.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have a P4 CPU at 3.4Ghz which probably means you have a Prescott CPU and these are notorious for overheating problems. Trust me I know as I have a 3.2Ghz Prescott and it will sometimes reboot when doing CPU intensive stuff if the ambient temperature is a bit high (like on hot summer days) and even on otherwise cold days it will sometimes decide to just "take off" meaning the fan will spin up really high because the CPU just decided (for whatever reason) to run full hog like an idiot and boom it reboots.

Best thing is to buy a good after market heatsink and have a case with plenty of air flow (the side of my computer case is open with a big box fan blowing into it). Also try to keep the room as cold as you can on hot days.

Perhaps your heatsink/fan has "had it" and you need a new one. Mine didn't start overheating until year 3 I think and it was due to the aging of the heatsink/fan.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    It is not uncommon for CPU intensive tasks (like video encoding/transcoding) to more-or-less take up 100% of the CPU and this should NOT cause overheating to the extent that the CPU causes a reboot IF you have proper ventilation of the CPU and the inside of the computer case etc.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am a little concerned by you having to reformat your system. Why do you do this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would also suggest you pull the side cover off and see how much dust is in there. Maybe a good cleaning, especally of the CPU heatsnk, might help.

This program is handy for monitorng temperatures: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    It sounds like you have a hardware problem like overheating. It shouldn't matter if dvd shrink use 100% cpu. So I would check the computer fans and monitor the cpu temperature while running dvd shrink for example.
    I don't know how to monitor the cpu, can't check it since this one has a huge plastic tube over it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    You have a P4 CPU at 3.4Ghz which probably means you have a Prescott CPU and these are notorious for overheating problems. Trust me I know as I have a 3.2Ghz Prescott and it will sometimes reboot when doing CPU intensive stuff if the ambient temperature is a bit high (like on hot summer days) and even on otherwise cold days it will sometimes decide to just "take off" meaning the fan will spin up really high because the CPU just decided (for whatever reason) to run full hog like an idiot and boom it reboots.

Best thing is to buy a good after market heatsink and have a case with plenty of air flow (the side of my computer case is open with a big box fan blowing into it). Also try to keep the room as cold as you can on hot days.

Perhaps your heatsink/fan has "had it" and you need a new one. Mine didn't start overheating until year 3 I think and it was due to the aging of the heatsink/fan.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    It is not uncommon for CPU intensive tasks (like video encoding/transcoding) to more-or-less take up 100% of the CPU and this should NOT cause overheating to the extent that the CPU causes a reboot IF you have proper ventilation of the CPU and the inside of the computer case etc.
    true, hate this computer sooo much, if it didn't have cost me so much, probably have thrown it out of the window for a long time ago
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grossjamesh
    I am a little concerned by you having to reformat your system. Why do you do this?
    the main reason is 'cause the computer starts to work slower and slower
    can't perform normal tasks, it takes to long time
    and when the computer starts to shut down all by itself (se the post above), then its time to format it again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aslan
    I don't know how to monitor the cpu, can't check it since this one has a huge plastic tube over it
    Go with redwudz' suggestion (2nd time I wrote that today ). You don't actually have to physically put a rectal thermometer to your CPU, as software can monitor the temp for you.

As for having to reformat, it seems as though you have some shitty software installed somewhere. Try to take a minimalist approach and only install what is needed, or at least the most reputable of what you're going to use. If you reformat and simply re-install the offending software, you will have the same problems (which it seems is the case). I have a machine that is specifically for A/V processing (no other software but critical A/V tools), and I haven't formatted it since I put it together six years ago (even with upgrades).

Make sure that you have reliable virus and spyware scanner. There's just so much shit out there that can hose your system.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    Originally Posted by aslan
    Go with redwudz' suggestion (2nd time I wrote that today ). You don't actually have to physically put a rectal thermometer to your CPU, as software can monitor the temp for you.

As for having to reformat, it seems as though you have some shitty software installed somewhere. Try to take a minimalist approach and only install what is needed, or at least the most reputable of what you're going to use. If you reformat and simply re-install the offending software, you will have the same problems (which it seems is the case). I have a machine that is specifically for A/V processing (no other software but critical A/V tools), and I haven't formatted it since I put it together six years ago (even with upgrades).

Make sure that you have reliable virus and spyware scanner. There's just so much shit out there that can hose your system.
    Hehe your right you don't need a rectal termometer.
    Hard not to install certain programs for encoding for instance. Try to keep to programs down, and it is har to know which of them is causing the problem.
    I don't know what you mean with A/V tools, probably tools only important for the machine to go around, and yes if you keep the programs to a minimal and only the ones absolutely needed everything will be fine. But then why do I have the computer if it can't perform other things like encoding, that I want to do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A/V tools = Audio and Video tools

That was my short way of saying audio editors, encoders, converters (same for video). That's why I said "specifically for A/V processing".

Also, if you don't have too many programs to install, you can do a search to see if certain ones have known issues.
    Quote Quote