VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and am hoping someone can help with the following problem.

I have a Canon MV800 Digital Camcorder (Mini Dv). While on holiday this year it broke down (it won't take tapes in). I have footage on several tapes that I now cannot get onto my computer for editing.

A friend offered to lend me their Mini DV Camcorder (Sony DCR-HC40E) but when I tried capturing the video on my pc, in the viewfinder of the camcorder and on my pc the picture had horizontal bars across it.

What would cause this? Is it because I'm using a different make of camcorder than the one I recorded footage on? A setting I've got wrong somewhere.

Any advise most welcome

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you use LP (Long Play) mode when you recorded the footage ? Long play recordings often have problems playing back in any camera other than the one that recorded the footage.

It could also be dirty or differently aligned heads.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your reply

No I didn't use Long Play to make the recordings.

I've included a screen shot of the problem this time so you can see exactly what happened.

Anything I can do to get round the problem? Maybe try a different camcorder?

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Record a short clip on the Sony cam and if it plays back ok then the heads are good.

Play back a known good tape if you have one and if it plays ok then the Canon cam had a bad head. If not then the cams are not compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Such obvious things to try lol

did short recording on Sony cam on blank tape - perfect

tried playing old known good tape - still had the lines on it

so obviously not compatible

Does that mean I either need to borrow a Canon camcorder from someone or buy another Canon (not what I wanted to do) to be able to get this footage onto my pc?

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe find a camera store that rents Canon camcorders or will transfer the tape for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i'd try a minidv head cleaning tape first. might clear up the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks will try that
    Quote Quote