VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly are disc made on a set top box what is refered to as an episode disk?

What the best and free software to rip them (I think I have th econver bit sorted ok) - remember discs on a set-top-box have no extra sorts of protection
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In my opinion....you need to do a LOT of reading before you go farther.
    FIRST....it doesn't matter of your discs are protected or not....most of the software I think you are overlooking (as only for protected discs) also work perfectly well with DVD Recorder discs...DVDDecrypter is a prime example.
    SECOND....I never heard of an episode disc. That must be something you read in the manual for your DVD recorder. Forget that word....it means nothing here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep you can use anything to rip a homemade disc. Even the old non-updated dvd shrink will work just fine (it will make a perfect copy of a single layer disc or even a dual layer disc if you tell it to - however MOST settop recorders are single layer only - though a few dual layer recorders were made).

You could choose to extract a single show or the entire disc. Then you can re-edit them however you want to.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found this http://handbrake.fr/ and is does convertions as well so I can make stuff straight for my psp

I tried searching for 'open source dvd ripper' instead of 'free dvd ripper' and that came up first hit.
    Quote Quote