VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am using Dazzle Video Creator Platinum (DVC 170) card connected to USB2 to capture video from TV. I use composite cable and record in MPEG2 highest quality (DVD) with bitrate 8400 using Pinnacle studio 12 platinum. However, the quality is not that good. I have core 2 duo 3.00 Ghz with 2 GB of ram.

I am looking for a better capture card, the material will be mostly football (soccer) matches.

Could you please suggest any excellent (PCI or USB2) card for about $200-250?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you recording high definition or standard definition sources? For standard definition TV captures, the Hauppauge PVR-250 and PVR-350 are both excellent PCI cards. The PVR-350 has TV out but it is otherwise identical to the 250 model. I don't recommend their cheap PVR-150 model. The 150 uses a different chip set and it does not work well, if it all, for some people. The 250 and 350 just work for everybody. Both the 250 and 350 should be available for less than your price range.

Dazzle used to make the DVC-II PCI card some years ago, which at the time was one of the best PCI video capture cards available. I'm not surprised that you don't like their DVC 170. Their USB cards don't have good reputations and many people believe that they haven't made a good capture card since the old DVC-II days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

To record HD, does this mean that the TV channel should broadcast HD stream? or does it mean that I can capture in HD format?

What's the best option to capture highest quality if the source is standard and not HD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "To record HD" means that you are recording a high definition TV broadcast in high definition. I know of no cards that can record standard definition signals in high definition, but it is possible to record high definition signals in standard definition.

I thought I was being clear when I said:

Originally Posted by jman98
    For standard definition TV captures, the Hauppauge PVR-250 and PVR-350 are both excellent PCI cards.
    I guess I could have said "standard definition video captures" instead of "standard definition TV captures", but yes, these cards are specifically for standard definition video capturing. Your original post was not clear on whether your source video is standard or high definition.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I gotta say Hauppauge too. I've watched and captured hundreds of hours on my USB2 PVR and I've never even been tempted to find 'something better'.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a USB High Definition TV capture device. It plugs directly into the USB plug and with a a decsent antenna not the one that comes with it capture will be awesome. Cost me $22.00 plus postage of Ebay. WOW this will record HD television onto the hard drive and comes with remote control. you can also pre program recording.

This makes my computer a television. I also have a laptop and I can watch HD television anywhere I like. Try beating that. Quality is magnificent and its portable. Would never buy a capture card of any kind .This beats it anyday. My friends are blown away by it...............MAGNIFICENT!!!

Quote Quote