VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a Philips DVP-5990 DVD player, which I LOVE because now I can play divx files! Now seeing as this is NOT a BlueRay-HD player, I was wondering if it would still play HD movies (ie 720 or 1080) off a data disc or flash drive, still in high def. Although it wouldn't need the special 'blueray' laser to read the file itself, I'm just wondering if it would then play it in HD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. player doesn't support HD Divx.
    HD divx players are not cheap ,and many bad reviews

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007MGEOC/divxcom03-20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000C1MYNI/interactiveda624-20

right now I think HTPC is the best for playing HD divx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    right now I think HTPC is the best for playing HD divx
    Get a Sony PS3 ... they just reduced the price to $399.99 US Dollars for the 80GB version.

Plays HD DivX and HD XviD plus HD MP4 and M2TS files.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Philips old DVP642 can play some high resolution videos like 800x432, but 5982,5992 won't
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newnews
    Philips old DVP642 can play some high resolution videos like 800x432, but 5982,5992 won't
    Yes, BUT you have to be very careful here. As a general rule, I tell people that such players can't play anything above 720x576. If you do the math, 720 x 576 = 414720. 800 x 432 = 345600. If you multiply the resolutions and
    your final result is less than 414720, it MIGHT play. However, nothing close to 720p will be less than this value. If your file barely and I do mean barely exceeds DVD specs in the horizontal resolution and the vertical resolution is less than DVD specs, then it might play, but it's just easier to tell people to not expect it to play if it's bigger than 720x576.

Note that my usual cautions on Divx playback apply to any device and things like QPel, GMC, etc. may prevent successful playback even if the device can handle the resolution OK. The original poster will definitely NOT be able to play HD Divx on his player with the exceptions noted above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your best bet for HD Divx playback are the HD media players like the Popcorn Hour and Tvix.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Your best bet for HD Divx playback are the HD media players like the Popcorn Hour and Tvix.
    Yes, but they too have limits and won't "play anything". No media player yet tested, including Popcorn Hour, has been able to play Xvid/Divx using GMC with 3 warp points.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is an old thread, but this is the second time I've happened upon it. The Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player gets really good reviews and plays a load of formats (way more than my finicky Philips DVP5982, which I bought just for the USB port and Divx/Xvid playback ability). I'm thinking of getting one, when I finally get an HDTV, after Black Friday.

It's on sale at Buy.com with free shipping, for $99.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=209975073&adid=17653&dcaid=17653

Here is a nice thread on Videohelp:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic358929.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Darney76 - Best Buy is also selling it for $99. You might not want to wait as I got one a week ago and it was very hard to find. My metro area probably has more than a dozen Best Buy stores and I bought the next to last one available in the entire metro area. Note too that this store had it kept near the car audio section with miscellaneous gadgets, so it may be stocked in an unusual location at other Best Buy stores as well. I had to have help from a sales guy who just happened to remember seeing it in a section he didn't work in.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whats the difference between The Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player and the xbox or PS3... other than price?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I imagine the removable harddrives. Plus no game playing ability. And limited networking that I would know of. There is a chance this wd has a network port. However this could very well be landlocked and be for harddrives only not both. Though again this is just supposistion as I don't have one but I do have both a 360 and a ps3. Both game consoles have good networking ability without a need for a physical harddrive attached.

One other note any harddrive format like this must be in fat32 not ntfs. That means of course the 4gb file limit size comes into play. (which I can't imagine is a problem streaming to a ps3 or a 360 though I've never streamed a file that large to know of problems).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by yoda313
    I imagine the removable harddrives. Plus no game playing ability. And limited networking that I would know of. There is a chance this wd has a network port. However this could very well be landlocked and be for harddrives only not both. Though again this is just supposistion as I don't have one but I do have both a 360 and a ps3. Both game consoles have good networking ability without a need for a physical harddrive attached.

One other note any harddrive format like this must be in fat32 not ntfs. That means of course the 4gb file limit size comes into play. (which I can't imagine is a problem streaming to a ps3 or a 360 though I've never streamed a file that large to know of problems).
    WD can read NTFS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by MJA
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    There is a chance this wd has a network port.
    One other note any harddrive format like this must be in fat32 not ntfs.
    WD can read NTFS
    no network port either
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @mja and stiltman - well 1/2 out ain't bad

Did not know it supported ntfs. That is good. But I suspected it did not have a network port.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is better at playing HD Divx, the XBOX, PS3 or WD?
    Quote Quote  
  16. if money iisn't an issue,and you own a HDTV then go with the PS3
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    if money iisn't an issue,and you own a HDTV then go with the PS3
    MJA is probably right. The WD, which is the only one of the 3 that I own in sdvideo's list, is fussy about Divx. It has to be named .avi to work and others have reported having to remux files to get them to work. I can tell you that I tested it with a file that had packed bitstream and the same file only without the packed bitstream (you can remove it without re-encoding using MPEG4Modifier) and only the file without packed bitstream would play. Does the WD not like packed bitstream? I don't know. Need to do more testing. The PS3 should be a lot less fussy.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Originally Posted by MJA
    if money iisn't an issue,and you own a HDTV then go with the PS3
    MJA is probably right. The WD, which is the only one of the 3 that I own in sdvideo's list, is fussy about Divx. It has to be named .avi to work and others have reported having to remux files to get them to work. I can tell you that I tested it with a file that had packed bitstream and the same file only without the packed bitstream (you can remove it without re-encoding using MPEG4Modifier) and only the file without packed bitstream would play. Does the WD not like packed bitstream? I don't know. Need to do more testing. The PS3 should be a lot less fussy.
    All of my DivX and XviD are packed bitstream and they all play in the WD. I can only assume that it is the program used to encode the file that is causing the problem.

I had some old files a couple of years back that wouldn't play in the Philips 642 that were AVI 1.0. After direct stream copying them into an AVI 2.0 container with Virtualdub, they played fine.

If the HD-DivX (XviD) are a strange resolution then they might not play. I had some XviD files that were made with Bitmaps of different sizes and had to recode a handfull of them to a different resolution because they would not play. Files that are much larger than 1920x1080 might not play either. (A 1600x1200 file XviD plays fine but an 1800x1200 XviD file will not.

The one thing that I don't like about the WD is that a progress bar pops up at the beginning of every file and is there for about 10 seconds. It is very annoying and it isn't at the very bottom of the screen but far enough up the screen that it gets in the way of the picture. There is an option to supposedly turn it on and off but although you can make it stay on for the entire movie, you can't turn it completely off.

Money is an object for me and if it wasn't, I can't wait to see if the courts will allow Buffalo to sell their player which is probably what I'd buy and Philips doesn't seem to be interested in selling a player with the same capabilities which I'd gladly pay $150 for so the $99 WD player was perfect for me. It might not play everything out there (wish there was VC-1 support) but it will play all of my videos.
    Quote Quote