VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix streaming stopped working due to a DRM error when I installed a Jaton VIDEO-208PCI-64TV (nVidia GeForce MX 4000 64MB) in the PC I have set up to use w/ my bedroom TV using the card's composite TV out. I called Netflix and they told me that this happens with every nVidia card via TV out (composite and S-Video) with any protected Windows Media video, with the only fix being to have a monitor attached when it starts playing to get the DRM working. I can't do that, so I'm stuck. Has anyone found any fixes for this, like a hacked firmware or anything else?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you google it?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. I was only able to find one relevant result and it doesn't offer any help: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?p=1249666

I've also posted at a video card forum, hoping that maybe there's a hacked driver or something that fixes it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. http://willvonwizzlepig.blogspot.com/2008/07/nvidia-svideo-out-netflix-and-drm.html
    there is a simple solution: uninstall the Nvidia drivers. They are what allows the DRM to "function", that is, block you from watching what you've paid to watch.

Restart your pc. Windows will start up with its native driver
    Might leave you with overscan problems though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! That's what I get for Googling with "TV out" as part of my string.

When the driver's uninstalled, will I still have picture on my TV once Windows reboots and tries to find a generic driver? (since I don't have a separate monitor to hook it up to)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Windows should detect the TV and enable the s-video output as it boots -- if the s-video cable is connected and the TV is on. Still, you may wnt to have a monitor handy the first time you try this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows should detect the TV and enable the s-video output as it boots -- if the s-video cable is connected and the TV is on. Still, you may wnt to have a monitor handy the first time you try this.
    I'm using composite, but functionally it should be the same in this case.

I don't have the capabilities to make a monitor dummy plug to use w/ TVTool. Is there any place to buy one from an enterprising individual?
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you can't do it, take it to the local college or highschool.
    Hand them the parts and the drawing along with $10
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the blog post's instructions and it works to a degree:

The Netflix video is choppy, I guess since it doesn't know how the properly use the card. Is there a way to adjust the settings so it knows the basics of the card without installing the nVidia drivers?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. The default drivers from Microsoft are pretty minimal. Here are some things you can try:

Be sure hardware acceleration is set to Full in the graphics configuration applet (Troubleshoooting tab).

If there is an "Enable write combining" option in the configuration applet, enable it. It's on the same page as the Hardware acceleration setting on my computer (NVIDIA 8600GT).

If you're running at a high resolution try reducing it to 800x600 or 640x480.

Try different color depths, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit.
    Quote Quote