VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to find a DVD-R/VCR combo unit that has RF inputs. I don't need a digital tuner (I have a digital cable box), I just need an RF input so that I can record TV. However, I've only been able to find ones with RF inputs that have a digital tuner. Any suggestions on units? (and no, my cable box does not have component, composit, or S-Video out)

If I have to, I've been looking at ones that have a digital tuner built in, but will I still be able to come out of my cable box into the recorder?

These are units that I'm currently considering if I can't find anything else...
    LG RC797T
    JVC DR-MV100B
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wondering...what brand/model cable box do you have? I would figure that most digital boxes would have composite out at least.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You should be able to upgrade the cable box, that would be the easiest way. If you have to go through the RF input, you are going to get poor video quality mono audio recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use a DVDR's RF IN as a source from a box, I don't think you'll "see" anything unless the DVDR has channels scanned into the tuners. The RF input and tuner are linked... before scanning for channels, the only things you'll be able to select as a "source" for recording are the external inputs, and you don't have any corresponding line outputs on your box.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All new US DVDRs either have a digital/analog tuner or no tuner at all. If you don't mind the used route I'd suggest a Panasonic ES-30v. It has a analog tuner, VHS and DVD and was about the best (IMO) combo ever made. It was a '05 model.
    Otherwise if you live near Canada they still sell combos with a analog only tuners. Future Shop which is owned by Best Buy seems to have about the best selection.
    LGs don't have the best reputation and I haven't heard much one way or the other about the JVC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    You should be able to upgrade the cable box, that would be the easiest way. If you have to go through the RF input, you are going to get poor video quality mono audio recordings.
    Aren't many tuners stereo? Also, I disagree about the video quality. In some cases the tuner is preferable to the cable box via S-Video or composite. My cable company, Cablevision, tends to overcompress a lot of channels, so if it's offered via analog, I record using the tuner. It's really noticeable during WWE shows, especially during the entrances where the lighting gets weird.

Originally Posted by wabjxo
    If you use a DVDR's RF IN as a source from a box, I don't think you'll "see" anything unless the DVDR has channels scanned into the tuners. The RF input and tuner are linked... before scanning for channels, the only things you'll be able to select as a "source" for recording are the external inputs, and you don't have any corresponding line outputs on your box.
    That too.

See if your cable company rents a newer box with composite outputs. If they do, that's the best solution for recording digital cable channels. My last analog box had composite out, so it's really surprising to hear of a digital box that doesn't have it.

I wish someone would make a cablecard-ready recorder, but I doubt it would happen with the market for DVD recorders dying.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The OP is wanting to record from the cable box, his post says he doesn't want a digital tuner. If using a cable box through the RF, the PQ will definitely be inferior to s-video or RCAs. Yes, if he used the tuner in a DVD recorder it would be stereo capable, with a cable box it won't.

Your cable company has to have a box with line outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, but you can't record a cable box through the RF on recorders like you can on VCRs, so I thought you meant in general.
    Quote Quote