VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a srt file for subs and i want to embed (hardcode) it into the mp4 and keep the mp4 format
    is there any way other than using nero recode to reencode it with the subs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must reconvert if you want hardcode subtitles. You can also use xvid4psp, just load the mp4 and the subtitle file and convert to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
  4. other options include avidemux (for either h264 / xvid), or ripbot264 (only h264). xvid4psp is probably the easiest to use

(still have to re-encode either way as Baldrick pointed out)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what am i doing wrong for xvid4psp to not add the subtitles
    load the video
    load the srt file
    set the encoding settings
    and press the encode button

is there and option that i can not seem to find to hardcode the subs?

format: mp4 ps3 or xbox360
    denoise/sharpen: disabled
    brightness/contrast: disabled
    video encoding: copy
    audio encoding: aac-lc abr 128k
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you have the video & subs in the same folder, you shouldn't need to add the subs manually (you should already see them in the preview)

file.mp4
    file.srt

Does your output file not have subs?

Can you see the subs in the preview? (if not load them manually by subtitles=>add (select .srt file)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xtwist3dx
    what am i doing wrong for xvid4psp to not add the subtitles
    load the video
    load the srt file
    set the encoding settings
    and press the encode button

is there and option that i can not seem to find to hardcode the subs?

format: mp4 ps3 or xbox360
    denoise/sharpen: disabled
    brightness/contrast: disabled
    video encoding: copy
    audio encoding: aac-lc abr 128k
    You put VIDEO ENCODING on COPY. That does no re-encoding. You need to re-encode if you want to burn in the subtitles.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="FulciLives"]
    You put VIDEO ENCODING on COPY. That does no re-encoding. You need to re-encode if you want to burn in the subtitles.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman[/quote

ok thanks i hope that helps

and to poisondeathray yes i seen the subs but it didnt have the subs after
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi. When i try to open the mp4 i want to add the subs to i get "Caching: Directshowsource cant decode the video (zero-size image was returned". What am i doing wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. ok, i just played the mp4 in the player that came with xvid4psp and there no video, only audio. does this mean this type of mp4 isnt supported?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play the mp4 in windows media player? Try install a decoder like ffdshow.

Or burn in subtitles with freemake video converter instead.
    Quote Quote  
  12. yeah it works in WMP so ive got the right decoder for that obviously. Ok, i'll try freemake.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Xvid4psp worked like a dream for putting subs on my mp4 file.

One pretty sizable problem though is the file is now about 250 megs larger. What can I do to preserve the original size of the video? Is this likely an audio thing?

Format: MP4
    Filtering: Disabled
    Color correction: Disabled
    Video encoding: x264 Q21 HQ Film (The video is 720p BluRay x264, so I left this setting alone.)
    Audio encoding: AAC-LC VBR .45 (I have no idea what the audio lingo means or if it preserves the original file.)

757 mbs ==> 1001 mbs
    Quote Quote  
  14. Pariah01,
    x264 has a quality based encoding method called a CRF value, which may be what Q21 refers to (I assume it does but I don't use Xvid4psp myself). The higher the CRF value the lower the quality relative to the original. Roughly CRF 18 is where the encoder is considered to be transparent, but up to CRF23 should still give you pretty good quality.
    The encoder knows nothing about the original file size. It's just fed uncompressed video which it re-compresses according to the CRF value. There's no way to predict the final file size when using CRF encoding. It depends how hard the video is to compress (and also the encoder settings used). If the video is noisy (which can include compression artefacts in the original video if it was compressed quite hard) a given CRF value might result in a larger file size when re-encoding. If Q21 is the CRF value, try increasing it to Q22 or Q23 to see what the resulting file size is. The only other way around it is to use 2 pass encoding where you can pick the bitrate/file size and the quality will be the unknown. I don't know if Xvid4psp does 2 pass encoding.

Does Xvid4psp have an option to copy the original audio rather than re-encode it?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thank you for your correspondence. I will try raising it from 21 to 23.

And no, unfortunately, I don't see that option available.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Huh. Looks like there is no q23 HQ Film option. It only goes up to q22, and all of those options are tag-lined "animation."
    Last edited by Pariah01; 18th Mar 2014 at 20:38.
    Quote Quote