VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I made a file with my FRAPS capture program. I compressed it using DivX (configuration not an issue). I can play that in a variety of players OK. But if I open it in VirtualDub I get thin, flashing, white, horizontal lines, spoiling the playback. Here's a sample file (624 KB).

http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/...Test-DivX-2.avi

Anyone know why VirtualDub won't play it properly please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Quote Quote  
  2. Enable fraps in the ffdshow video encoder configuration to "libavcodec" from "disabled". Note this is the vfw interface (yellow-gold icon), not the regular ffdshow interface (red icon)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Link broken.

On a lark, I removed the ... from your link. It worked:

http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/Test-DivX-2.avi

I had no problem previewing or single stepping through the file in VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My apologies, I thought you meant the fraps file opening in vdub

I didn't get the download to work and I assumed incorrectly that it was a fraps file, not a DivX file

But jagabo with his uber-leet hacking skills saves the day

It works in vdub for me too btw
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    But jagabo with his uber-leet hacking skills saves the day :)
    Har!

I did have a minor issue in VirtualDubMod: It won't preview from frame 0 (zero). But if you move to another frame it plays fine. I opened it with MPEG4Modifier and got a complaint that "No VOL found before fierst VOP, make sure the video starts with a keyframe." And in fact, when opened with VirtualDub the first frame is not a keyframe and displays black.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks both. Got up at 4am to pursue this, starting with the suggestion from poisondeathray which I'd seen late last night! I tried that ffdshow adjustment, unsuccessfully of course, although I was doing it 'blind', so didn't realise it was based on a misunderstanding

After returning that FRAPS line to Disabled, I experimented further and found some other strange behaviour:
    - The flashing lines appear to be some sort of low level graphics issue, because after stopping or pausing VideoRedub they disappear. Couldn't get a snapshot in VD. But did manage to get a screenshot with PrtScr key:
    http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8927/vdplaybacklinescn3.jpg

- Using the second of the playback buttons there was no corruption! After looking at VD Help I'd have thought that would be more likely to cause problems?
    "The play button with the small "I" only plays the input video; the one with the small "O" previews both the input and the filtered output video. Previewing the output video requires a lot more CPU power and may not be able to occur in real-time if the video frame is large or complex video filters are in use."

- I retried the file again repeatedly in WMP 9, MPC and VLC, and all were OK. Then I tried IfranView, which appeared to play OK but then froze solid at the end, displaying similar white lines. Shortly after my cursor became grossly corrupted, although still allowing me to use it. Then the PC froze up completely and I had to do a hard reset. I'm avoiding IrfanView for the moment!

Have now seen subsequent posts and pondering on implications of jagabo's latest.

Sorry about the link - not sure what happened there, but will watch out for '...' in future.

--
    Quote Quote  
  7. You're having graphics driver problems. I think the driver is having a problems putting RGB video onto the screen with video overlay.

Check the video overlay setting in VirtualDub. Options -> Preferences, select Display in the left pane. Try changing the "Use DirectX for display panes" options.

The video you posted has a frame size of 1912x1094. Try changing both to even multiples of 16. For example 1904x1088. Or at least even multiples of 8 like 1912x1096.

Try updating your graphics drivers to the latest WHQL certified version.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

That specific change didn't fix it, but I then played with Options > Preferences > Main. In Quick preview defaults > Output color depth I changed from 16-bit (Hi Color) to 24-bit (TrueColor) and I'm very pleased to report that seems to have done the job

Also downloaded the latest nvidia drivers, 177.41_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe which I may install later.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. LOL, I was able to duplicate your problem! With preview color depth set to 16 bit I got the same horizontal lines on my NVIDIA 8600GT. It happened on a Matrox Parhelia too. And it only happens with Divx. Xvid doesn't do it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Glad to hear it - I sometimes think I'm the only one suffering these quirky issues

I was surprised when I found that 16-bit colour setting because I have Video > Colour Depth set to 24-bit. And I'm still not clear exactly what 'Quick Preview Defaults' means anyway, or why it was set to 16-bit?

What driver do have installed for your NVIDIA 8600GT?

--
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Terrypin. I was having the same problem with HD screen captures from Snagit. I wasn't sure if it was my HD2600 video card, the new Virtualdub or the capture. I wasn't real worried about it since the files played fine in all my players.

Also, when I try to save a 45 minute screen capture, Snagit can't find the frame to save the file so I have to go in my temp folder while the program is still open and get a copy of the the file and fix it with mpeg4modifier (my captures are divxHD) so Virtualdub will work with them. I get an index file error and there are no key frames if I try to open the unfixed capture in VDub which makes editing almost impossible.

As for the lines in the video in VDub. I never noticed it till last week but it happens with all my HD divx files. Thanks again for the fix.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Pleased to hear the thread helped you, DarrellS. But the credit goes mainly to jagabo for pointing me in the right direction - and luck that I happened to hit on the winning combination

--
    Quote Quote