VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This came to mind based on my last post here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic356431.html

Over the years I've noticed that for whatever reason, it often happens to me that the first and/or last few discs of Verbatim's 100 DVD spindles seem to not burn as well as the rest of the spindle (usually the burnt disc has read errors). I don't know why, but it happens. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, does anyone know why? Does their packaging maybe cause the stack of discs to bounce up and down during shipping, damaging the discs closest to the top and bottom? That's the only reasoning I can think of.

Thanks!
    -David
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never had any burn problems with Verbatim discs. I always look at the first few and the last few before burning though because the top and bottom few can be pretty badly scratched sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently finished a spindle of Verb -Rs, and yes, the last three or four had problems. The rest of the spindle was fine. This was the first time I'd ever seen that; hope I don't see it again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    About two months ago I posted regarding the sudden problem I had with a 100 count spindle of Verbatim 16x DVD-Rs. Halfway through the spindle (what would possibly represent the end of one 50 count spindle and the beginning of another), I experienced nine consecutive failed burns. Nothing had changed from when I was getting good burns so the reason for this remains a mystery. Following those bad burns, everything returned to normal and I've had 100% success with the Verbatims since. Some posters besides Bix have reported particular problems with the 100 count spindles versus the 50 count spindles so I don't really know except that I've had only that one incident. BTW: the 100 count spindle -Rs I had trouble with were MIS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't know there was any Singapore-made Verbatim media in 100-disc spindles...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've noticed that the last disc of 100 piece spindles of Verbatim always seem to have circular scuff marks on them. My theory is that the disc is hitting the clear plastic on the bottom of the spindle in transit. The bottom of the spindles I see this on have a raised security device under the clear plastic shield. The security device seems to me to be making a hump in the plastic so it can contact the bottom disc.

I do use those discs. I just burn small videos such as a 2Gb Divx to them or try and keep data under 2 Gb and then they are usable.

I suspect that if the shipping was unusually rough the damage could transfer to the discs above the bottom disc.

BTW I always look at the bottom of a disc as I load it into the drive. Every now and then I need to pull out the can of Blow-Off and de-dust one. YMMV but I don't like burning through dust or scratches, they have to cause problems.
    Quote Quote