VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I am really lost here. What I’m trying to do is edit the subtitles of a DVD movie that I have. The English subtitles have some mis-translations of Japanese that I would like to correct.

What I really need is a step by step tutorial that guides me through the entire process from start to finish. The end result would be a DVD, with the best possible video and audio quality, and with my subtitle corrections and additions working.

I’m completely new to this process, and I’ve come to dead ends with every guide and tutorial I’ve found. I’ve downloaded tons of applications. Can anyone here direct me to a good tutorial? Or is anyone here expert enough to offer their own guidance?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Or is anyone here expert enough to offer their own guidance?
    I am, as I do exactly that (edit DVD subs for bad grammar, mostly) at least a couple of times a week. But I'm not about to write a guide for you to explain everything. In general you put the DVD onto the hard drive, demux the main movie, OCR the subs to SRT text-based subtitles, edit the subs, convert the SRT subs to DVD subs, stick them back into the movie, place the movie back into the original DVD, thus getting back the menus and anything else that might be in the DVD.

1. DVD->Hard drive. DVD Decrypter in file mode to get all the DVD files. See the DVD Decrypter guide below.
    2. Demux the movie. PGCDemux. See the main guide linked below.
    3. OCR. SubRip. See the SubRip guide linked below.
    4. Edit. SubtitleCreator->Open Text Subtitles, click on a line needing changing and Edit->Edit Subtitle->Text. There are many ways to do this part and I use SubStation Alpha, myself.
    5. Convert the SRT text subs to DVD subtitles. SubtitleCreator. The main guide.
    5. Reauthor. Muxman. The main guide linked below
    6. Replace in original. VobBlanker. The main guide linked below

The main guide you'll be following is Method 2 of this Guide by Baldrick:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html

To get the DVD files onto the hard drive, and assuming this DVD doesn't have any special copy protection, use DVD Decrypter in File Mode:

http://www.doom9.org/dvddec-fullrip.htm

To get the subs in an editable text format, use SubRip:

http://www.doom9.org/subrip.htm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a million! I'll try all this out and see if I can get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I successfully put the DVD onto my hardrive, demuxed the main movie, and got most of the way through the SubRip process, but unfortunately I ran into some trouble.

The first problem I ran into was splitting the file with SubRip. In Step 3 of the tutorial, I’m told to open up the AVI file. But the file was demuxed as a M2V file, so I can’t open it up to split it in SubRip.

The next problem I ran into was installing SubStation Alpha because of “incompatibility problems with 64-bit versions of Windows” (I’m using Windows XP x64).

Lastly, I couldn’t install Subtitle Creator. The error message reads as follows: “.NET runtime library is not installed.”

Solutions, if they exist, would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The first problem I ran into was splitting the file with SubRip.
    That Step 3 is for people that have successfully OCR'd the subs and have an AVI movie (DivX/XviD AVI) split among 2 CDs and want also to split the SRT subtitle file. That part doesn't apply to you. I'll assume you got the subtitles OCR'd successfully.
    The next problem I ran into was installing SubStation Alpha because of “incompatibility problems with 64-bit versions of Windows”
    I just mentioned that in passing. You don't need SubStation Alpha and the main guide uses a different program for the job (SubtitleCreator).

And Baldrick gave you the fix that's preventing you from installing SubtitleCreator.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    What subrip guide are you talking about?
    This one:

Originally Posted by manono
    To get the subs in an editable text format, use SubRip:

http://www.doom9.org/subrip.htm
    Ok, so after installing the .NET framework, SubtitleCreator told me I needed version 2.0 of the .NET framework, not 1.1. So I found a 64-bit version of 2.0 and installed that, and now SubtitleCreator works! Thanks for the help, guys!

But now I’m running into new problems. Sorry; I wish I was more competent in this area.

The main problem I’m having is that only a very small fraction of the original subtitles are there in SubRip. I can OCR them and edit them in SubtitleCreator, and even create the new VIDEO_TS with new subtitles, but there isn’t much of a point since only something like 5% of the subtitles are there. I think I must have taken a wrong turn at some point during the SubRip stage. But I’m clueless as to when or how.

Also, with the new VIDEO_TS, (last step before burning the new DVD, if I’m not mistaken), the new subtitles are way to colorful. I was expecting white or yellow text with a dark outline (like what was displayed in SubtitleCreator), but the final subtitles are multicolored.

One last thing. I just want to make sure I’m on the right track here. I want to be able to add new lines of subtitles (and time them correctly with the spoken dialog) because even with the original set of subtitles, not all of the spoken dialog is subtitled. Will SubtitleCreator allow me to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think I must have taken a wrong turn at some point during the SubRip stage. But I’m clueless as to when or how.
    OCR them over again, then. By the way, after an OCR make sure you save the Character Matrix. SubRip will prompt you to save the changes if you try and exit the program without having done so. That way if you have to do it again with subs that have the same font (as in this case if you OCR them again), you won't have to type in the same letters.
    the new subtitles are way to colorful.
    That's minor and easy to fix. There are 2 ways to fix them, using either PGCEdit or DVDSubEdit. PGCEdit is the easier and faster of the 2 ways, but there's a guide for the use of DVDSubEdit:
    http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/Guides/ChangingColors/Guide.htm
    Will SubtitleCreator allow me to do this?
    I don't know, as I don't use SubtitleCreator for my subtitle work. Maybe someone else knows. It doesn't look to me like you can add lines in SubtitleCreator, although I could easily be wrong. There's nothing to prevent you from adding lines in Notepad and then reopening the subs in SubtitleCreator.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lomaidala
    The main problem I'm having is that only a very small fraction of the original subtitles are there in SubRip.
    You might as well look for subtitles someone else has already done.
    Check these sites:
    http://www.opensubtitles.org/ : A big all-inclusive site
    http://www.kloofy.net/ : Asian movies

Often you have to adjust the timings, you can use the ones you ripped to sync these. I use Subtitle Workshop which has some excellent time adjustment functions.
    Quote Quote