VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Canon GL2 camera. It has been working fine for a couple years. I am trying to play a video to capture into the computer. I recorded multiple tapes on a shoot last month and am in the process of editing/mixing. It worked two days ago. I left a tape in it and turned it back on today. When I went to play, it started and then a message came up to remove tape. I removed and put it back in after reinitializing the camera (power cycle). When I went to play it, the screen looks like alternating bands with half playing the video and the other half (alternating) just a frozen pixilated bunch of random colored squares. The audio also sounds funny, as in not all there.

I don't know how the heads are arranged on this camera and don't know if it might be a head problem, or a switching problem, or what. I don't know how the mini-dv format is recorded onto the tape, as in two heads rotating on the drum and it switches between the two to get the full picture. Like banding on the old quad VTR's.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone explain to me what might be happening so I can figure out what I am going to do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you mean a given frame has alternative bands of video and gibberish like the one here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-trv950-pdx10-companion/109368-pdx10-service-repair-options.html

If so, the likely cause is a dirty head. There are actually two heads in the drum which is why there are two sets of bands. The worst case is that the head is worn out.

Try a MiniDV cleaning cassette. Sometimes, playing an ordinary tape for a few minutes can help, too (it has for me).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is what I was wondering. I just went to two places that "used" to carry them but no longer do. I thought I had bought one some time ago but I don't see any here. I have a VHS and a 8 cleaner but that is all I see. I'll have to try another place when I can get there.
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, a given frame has alternate bands. Also when playing, it is always the same bands. This is true whether I play it in analog or through the firewire cable into the computer. Same on the viewfinder and LCD screen on the camera.
    Quote Quote