VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have a "simple" question, to which I have not been able to find a satisfactory answer...

I have an hdtv with a native resolution of 1366 x 768 (an LG 32lb4ds)... I don't use many high-def sources (some broadcast channels, and an xbox 360), and I know that any input resolution is converted to my native resolution of 768.... But my question is, which resolution (720i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p) should look best on my 768 tv? I'm wondering about this especially with respect to the xbox 360, because you can change the output resolution (to 720i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p). I don't even know if the output resolution will make a noticeable difference in image quality when converted to 1366 by 768, but what do you people think? Does it even matter?

Right now I have the xbox 360 set to 1080p, but it is being down-converted to 1366 x 768... 720p is closer to my native resolution, so maybe that would look better? And then of course there's 720i and 1080i...

Anyways, any advice that anybody has would be greatly appreciated... thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1080p will probably look best. Scaling down should be sharper than scaling up. On the other hand, with a game console, frame rate may be more of an issue than sharpness.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    XBOX 360 has a 1360x768 resolution mode. HOWEVER I believe it can only be utilized by the VGA HD cable. That is what I have and the picture looks outstanding on my 32" westinghouse which is 1366x768. Just use the fill mode on the tv to eek out the tiny difference.

Whenever possible match the source to your native display. Especially if your using a pc/mac with it.

As for my Playstation 3 which I use to watch dvds with I have that set to 1080i. It looks just fine on my set. However since the xbox has the option to go native I do it. I would do the same on the ps3 but over HDMI there is no option for that resolution.

On my cable high def dvr over hdmi I have it forced to 720p for all channels. Its just smoother in my opinion. 1080i on channels like local nbc and some cable channels it looks a little grainy I guess is the best way to describe it. By having the box downconvert to 720p first I get what I think is a better picture.

FYI fox and abc are 720p channels and I know for sure nbc is 1080i - don't know what cbs is as I haven't checked in awhile. But do your comparisons between those broadcast channels and you can decide for yourself which looks better.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does the Xbox 360 really have 1080p output? If so, is it 24 Hz or 60 Hz refresh?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Does the Xbox 360 really have 1080p output? If so, is it 24 Hz or 60 Hz refresh?
    Yes.

I don't know about the refresh rate though....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zom
    Ok, I have a "simple" question, to which I have not been able to find a satisfactory answer...

I have an hdtv with a native resolution of 1366 x 768 (an LG 32lb4ds)... I don't use many high-def sources (some broadcast channels, and an xbox 360), and I know that any input resolution is converted to my native resolution of 768.... But my question is, which resolution (720i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p) should look best on my 768 TV? I'm wondering about this especially with respect to the XBox 360, because you can change the output resolution (to 720i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p). I don't even know if the output resolution will make a noticeable difference in image quality when converted to 1366 by 768, but what do you people think? Does it even matter?
    Answer is it depends on the quality of your LG32-lb4ds video processor and the source video format.

Your TV always displays 1366x768p. Interlace inputs need to be deinterlaced and scaled. Progressive inputs just need to be scaled.

The Xbox-360 issues have been addressed above. The VGA 1366x768 output should be the best balance of progressive quality and frame rate. Most XBox360 games are authored at 720p. The scaling from 1280x720p to 1366x768p would be done in the XBox display processor for VGA output.

Upscaling these games 720p -> 1080p then downscaling in the TV to 1366x768 is unlikely to produce similar results.

480i input needs either direct deinterlace or inverse telecine (film) followed by upscale to 1366x768. The quality depends on your TV processor performance.

You may have the option to output from your cable/sat box at 480p or 720p. In that case deinterlace or inverse telecine occur in the set top box. Quality varies.

For DVD, you can benefit from a player with a quality progressive processor (e.g. Oppo). These will output at either 720x480p 59.94fps or 1280x720p 59.94 fps in high quality regardless of the TV. The TV simply scales the progressive input to 1366x768.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote