VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I am having with Windows Movie Maker, I have had problems in the past with Movie Maker not recognising .avi footage down loaded direct from the camera using Ulead Photo Explorer then importing them to the Movie Maker program, files have been eventually recognised after some stuffing around using a SD card reader, tonight I am trying once again to import avi files but keep getting a error message and the Movie Maker programs shuts down, very frustrating..

Can anyone suggest something that might help..

Nick..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start by identifying exactly what the video is. Movie Maker works with only a small range of types. AVI, as a container format, can contain many more formats than movie maker can handle. The solution may mean installing an extra codec so movie maker can read it, or converting the video to something movie maker is more comfortable with. Until we know what you have, it is impossible to say what the best solution is.

Try mediaInfo or G-spot to see what is inside the avi file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guns1inger,

Thanks for your help, i used G-spot to tell me what is in the file.. I dont know what to look for so i'll try to give you the information on the screen..

Container..

File Length Correct
    AVI v1.0
    Video: 17.2 MB (96.98%)
    Audio: 507 KB (2.78%)
    AVI Overhead: 45.0 KB (0.25%)

Video

Code XVID
    Name XviD ISO MPEG-4
    Status Codec(s) are Installed

Hope you can work it out from that info..

Nick..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A screenshot shows a lot more info - note that for next time.

You could try installing FFDShow to see if this will let WMM open the file. If not, use something like SUPER to convert the file to WMV format, which WMM will work with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guns1inger,

I think i might have found the problem, i was looking at the settings for WMM and unchecked a few boxes in the Tools, Options, Filters tab and now the footage seams to be running on WMM as it used to last week.
    Thanks for your help, you gave me an idea to check the settings with the files WMM uses..

Nick..
    Quote Quote