VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to be able to watch some tv shows that are not shown in our area or are special events not broadcast except online via subscriptions to that website. I heard that I can make my PC become a TV source. We have a fast DSL connection. We use DirectTV (a bill of $94 a month we'd like to reduce) and I'm buying a new PC and monitor in order to watch some shows online. What are ways that actually work? I am confused about how this process works. I found sites touting USB sticks, and TV cards that go the computer as well as software (ads say no extra h/w is needed). I am overwhelmed by the acronyms and cables and wires. I don't really understand how the stations' signals get INTO the PC in the first place. I don't know if once it's in my TV if I can record the show to watch on a DVD later on. I read the Hauppage.com ads and the Pinnacle PCTV HDPro Stick website and I am truly overwhelmed by their assumption that I know what they're talking about. I don't. Please, tell me what is a GOOD way to make my PC act as a TV source? What different components do I need to get? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are asking about internet TV, then you just need a video card that can output to your monitor/TV and the software to display the video. This is likely streaming video if off the internet. Most sites will tell you what software is needed. It's generally fairly low resolution, similar to a VCD.

If you are asking about receiving OTA (Over The Air) HD TV, then you need a tuner. Same with cable or other sources, though cable may be SD (Standard Definition) TV. HD (High Definition) TV will be standard for OTA broadcasts in the US in a few months, but cable will likely continue to support SD TV.

For a video card, depends on what inputs your monitors/TVs have. I use VGA output to one of my monitors. Another has HDMI and a third DVI. I have also used component video in the past to my TV/monitor. If you already have the TV, what inputs does it have? What outputs does your computers video card have?
    Quote Quote