VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older Iomega Super DVD Mod# DVDRW4224E2Q that I have usually used to write to DVD-R or DVD-RW discs. I recently got a LaCie LightScribe enabled burner with some DVD-R 16X discs. I have not been able to burn to these discs using the Iomega and am trying to find out if this is impossible or would just be slower to do. The reason I'm doing this is just it's more convenient to burn them at work on the Iomega and later LightScribe label them at home with the LaCie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You probably need a firmware update if there is one. Look on the manufacterer's website.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Your Iomega is now four years old: a century in burner years. Most burners older than two-three years cannot handle the current sloppy blank media available in stores. Your best bet is to have your office replace the old burner with a new one (they're down to $85 these days for USB2 or $30 for superb internal drives.) If this can't be arranged, try to download the latest burning software from Iomegas website (note Iomega doesn't upgrade firmware directly, they update the burning application instead, which may or may not help you). Media is so poorly-made nowadays we really need to buy a new burner every year to keep up with the decline. Get a Pioneer if you can.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have to mostly agree with the other posters. Unless you can upgrade the firmware on the burner, it may not handle most newer discs, especially 16X or faster. You can slow down the burner, but without the correct 'write strategy', which is in the firmware, may not help. Even 8X media is hard to find these days. The only other option is to try several brands of DVDs till you find one it likes.

If the Iomega is a external drive and has a standard DVD burner inside, you may be able to just replace that unit. If it's a internal burner, just replace it. The Pioneer mentioned is one good choice.

Off topic, but if you are located at Willow Creek, Humboldt County, been there often.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input guys. Iomega had a a firmware upgrade for my burner but it appears I must have already upgraded it awhile back. So I will probably just get a newer, better, faster burner as you all suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had an issue like this once. My solution was to just burn at a slower speed. It worked for me. But may not be an answer for others. Computers are funny that way. A cure for one person may not be a cure for someone else.
    Yeah, I'm probably nuts... But what the hell. Nobody's perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong forum.

However, my 4040G that is in the Daytek 950-S DVD recorder loves 16X Maxell and 16X Verbatim discs and will happily burn them at any quality setting on the machine. It's picky on some other 16X media but not MCC (Verbatim) nor Prodisc (Maxell) +Rs. That drive hasn't had a firmware upgrade in many years. My computer's 4163B LG drive will also burn 16X media just fine without a firmware upgrade but other than the Verbatims will default to a max of 4X regardless of the manufacturer. I don't trust the newest LGs though after having nothing but problems with the LG H22L I bought earlier this year.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I take that back on the Prodiscs. I've already hit one out of a pack of 10 that wouldn't finalize on a disc burned less than 2/3rds of the way through. I'll try to copy the data back to the HDD and burn on a Verbatim.

Hmmm...probably a quirk of the machine....no disc space left for the disc to finalize. If I remove a commercial and reburn I bet it'll be just fine. I thought I had burned this only 2/3rds of the way through but that was not the case. My bad....
    Quote Quote  
  9. bobarnett

Why Not

I have an original liteon 4x DVD burner [mfg Feb 2004] that works perfect. It has the original firmware and has no problem with with any 4x to 16x disk
    I still use an Iomega ZIP drive and a good oldser iomega 4x burner with original firmware. It works fine wth 16x disks/

Note
    The burner program used should auto adjust or should be manually set for a slower speed so as not to exceed the burner capability
    It may be a burner problem. I do not feel disks are a problem
    Quote Quote  
  10. I would recommend you use 4x or 8x media whenever possible. The high speed discs recording area is more sensitive and requirse less laser exposure - You will usually get a better burn when burning the disc at its rated speed or one step under. Example: burning a 16x disk at 8x or 16x - or burning an 8x at 4x or 8x. Of course you will likely get a higher PI/PIF error rate on your media, but ECC will save your day just use quality media - and whenever possible media that is at most one step above your drive's rated speed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Burners as Used in a Stand Alone Recorder

My recorders originally had 4x or 8x burners . They and most units will not exceed that speed In real or copy time
    I primarily use Verbatim or Ridata 16x Disks [Which are Rated 1x to 16x] - but have used a number of other brands.
    AS said I have not had any problems with any –
    I will use a 4x and 8x and buy them if available as they are usually cheaper for a specific disk.
    I have not seen ANY difference in ANY speed disk as to volume. Laser or other issues.

One unit I have has a liteon SHOW 1693s drive that has see much, much less use than many such drives including 1693s, 1673s, 1633s 1213s, 832s and a few 452ss drives. They all operate fine on +/-R and +/-RW disks
    Yet that one 1693 burner will not recognize an RW disk in fact it would most likely lock the unit up if a RW disk is used but operates fine on +/-R disks
    Voltage was checked and was OK
    A New 1693s was installed and it operates fine on any disk including RW

I feel that Operator Error and/or Defective Burner Issues are blamed on a specific disk when it is not
    Quote Quote