Hi folks.

Im ripping subtitles in 7 different languages from a DVD using SubRip (OCR, SRT) and merging them to an .mkv file using mkvmerge GUI. Problem is the foreign subtitles SubRip saves with UniCode wont display in the finished .mkv file.

When ripping the subs SubRip saves English subs as ANSI Latin-1 while it automatically saves them as UniCode when ripping say a Swedish subtitle. Now when I add the UniCode subtitles to mkvmerge GUI it gives me no errors and it assumes UTF-8 if I don't choose a text encoding for the SRT. Problem is I can't see exactly what UniCode format SubRips saves the files to, so I can't choose the correct format in mkvmerge.

I've tried to open and re-save the SubRip SRT in the text editor as UniCode but no success.

What I really want is the ability to just drop the subs into mkvmerge GUI _WITHOUT_ choosing text encoding, I want it to work with mkvmerge GUI assuming UTF-8. This would save me a ton of work since im muxing ca 170 different mkv-files with 7 subtitles each. Even with the English subtitles I have to choose the ANSI Latin-1 format _every_ time.

Please help, I've spent to many hours trying to figure this out myself.