VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I using Adobe Premiere Elements and try to capture from an old VHS-tape (usually I have no problems capturing from VHS-tapes) but the picture is "jumping" and "freezing". The same happenes when I try to record into a DVD-recorder. Any solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to convert old commercial tapes to DVD?
    In that case you need what is called "Video Stabilizer" to connect in video signal path.
    Those tapes have a protection, that is why you see what you see.
    Just type the words in search engine to see where you can get one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The old VHS tape is likely worn and damaged, compromising the signal that keeps the picture stable. How valuable is the VHS content to you? You might opt for a time-based corrector (TBC), but that can cost big bucks, and may not fully remedy the problem. Your other option (cheaper) is to take the tape to a company that specializes in transferring VHS to DVD. By the way, please describe the computer interface you use to capture the analog VHS signal.

EDIT: Written while Tinker was posting. Yes, indeed, ARE you trying to transfer a tape that has copy protection? I wasn't thinking of that. If so, his solution is valid.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. The VHS-tape is coming from my own video camera and is 20 years old.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might suggest...first try a known good tape.
    If it shows a good picture, you know that it's not a head clog or control track problem.

..quite a few of my oldest vhs & beta tapes suffer form oxide flaking off
    & clogging the heads during playback.
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try to rewind the tape before capture?
    Are you using capture card or firewire?
    What mikel suggest may be a good test.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When tapes jump like that I believe they are on there way out. I guess thats why many of us have a desire to copy magnetic tape to DVD for a more stable archive medium. In the days of video we loved to capture our memories and tape was the only thing available to us. So we have new digital technology at hand but we still want to cherish our kids growing up moments and grandparents that may longer be with us. Some of my tapes are worth a million to me and my family but unfortunately some just jump and have noise bars that are tragic and very little can be done about it except to cut and clip the salvagabe parts and get it to dvd as soon as possible. 20 years has lots of good memories unfortunately tape is very short lived if played often.

You might want to play around with tracking settings but tape does crease and stretch which makes it very unstable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The tape is plenty workable. The tape needs to be run through professional equipment, both a good VCR (not consumer stuff) and a TBC. Either buy such items, or pay a service that uses pro gear (do not assume all services use pro gear -- many do not).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote