VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, playing 16:9 dvd from Panasonic s97 through Sima ct2 and recorded on Panasonic e55. In setup s97 is set to 16:9 tv. Some of the dvds are recorded with large black bars at the left and right side of tv sceen, others record properly. What is causing these black bars on some dvds????? These same original dvds(not the recorded ones) play properly on the e55 with no black bars on the left and right sides of screen. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only bars on the sides, or all around the image ? If all around, it sounds like they have been recorded as 4:3 letterboxed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The bars at also at top and bottom but those should be there. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't change any setting on either of the Panasonics, and some come out this way and others don't. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the image isn't distorted then you have letterboxed 4:3. You can confirm this by looking at the discs with something like g-spot

As to why you can't get consistent results - I don't have enough information so say, other than to think that any process that has a sima product in it somewhere is asking for trouble.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The disc is not 4:3 and it plays fine on the e55. This one is a 2 sided disc, 4:3 and 16:9, I am playing the right side, I played both sides to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As to why you can't get consistent results - I don't have enough information so say, other than to think that any process that has a sima product in it somewhere is asking for trouble.
    Funny you should say that. A buddy of mine said the same thing about sima just last week.
    Yeah, I'm probably nuts... But what the hell. Nobody's perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This one is a 2 sided disc, 4:3 and 16:9, I am playing the right side, I played both sides to be sure.
    But you didn't answer guns1inger's question or do as he asked. If the widescreen version is playing with correct aspect ratio (people and round things look normal) at the same time it's surrounded on all 4 sides by black bars, then it's very possible the widescreen side is widescreen 4:3 (and isn't 16:9) or is being recorded as such. Why not open one of the e55 output VOBs in GSpot and have a look. If you're not sure of what you're seeing, post the pic here.

I'm not saying that's the case, but it's perhaps the most likely explanation at this point, given that you haven't provided enough information yet. You could also provide the name of the film and the DVD region.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The other question I would ask is : why ?

Why take a digital source and duplicate it through an inherently lossy analogue method, when perfectly good digital methods exist. You obviously have a PC, as you are posting here. Why not use that for the duplicating process ? You have far greater control and a higher quality outcome.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what a vob is, once again the movie plays properly on the e55 so I don't think it is Widescreen 4:3, it plays properly on the e55 with bars only at top and botton. The last movie to do this was "Dead Man Walking". thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are recording from a DVD to a DVD, yes ?

The VOB is the main container file used by the DVD format to store video, audio and subpicture information. It is found in the Video_TS folder on a DVD Video disc.

Again, why use an inherently lossy, low quality analogue method to duplicate digital data, when lossless, or at least higher quality, less lossy digital methods are available to you ?

Finally, if the same disc play differently in the two players, then either the disc is not encoded properly (in which case we are back to the question : what is in the VOB ?) or the players are set up differently.

The ball is back in your court to provide more useful information, or live out your days wondering.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by southland66
    The last movie to do this was "Dead Man Walking"
    The MGM R1 version of Dead Man Walking is a flipper with a pan-and-scan "fullscreen" 4:3 version on one side and a widescreen non-anamorphic 4:3 version on the other side.

Look, if I had a nickel for everyone that thought a widescreen movie was, by definition, 16:9, then... well... you know the rest. Yet you still refuse to have a look in GSpot, DGIndex, ReStream, BitRate Viewer or any of the other many apps that can tell you what you have? Ignorance is bliss. Why come here for advice if you steadfastly refuse to provide the information necessary so we can help you? You joined earlier today, evidently just so you could get some help with your "problem". Because you don't have a history here it's difficult at first to judge how much you know or don't know and we're inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt. Not any more.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The dvd players are set up exactly the same, I can't look at the vob because I don't have the disc anymore. I use these recorders because I thought the quality would be better and my laptop doesn't have a dvd burner. Desktop died. And mamono, don't get so upset, if I knew everything you knew about this subject, I wouldn't be asking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by southland66
    I can't look at the vob because I don't have the disc anymore.
    I have two problems with this statement.

1. All it takes to create a VOB is to simply burn a disc. Nothing particularly difficult about it. Burn one from each recorder and compare the results.

2. The second problem I have is that if you don't have the disc, you are effectively talking about pirated video - i.e. a disc you do not own - which contravenes the forum rules.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, I do own the disc, I was copying the disc for the trip from my home in Atlanta to my vacation home in Panama City Beach. The problem with you two is that you speak of things you know nothing about, just make assumptions. I have better things to do with my time than argue with computer geeks. So long.
    Quote Quote