VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Can anybody help me? I have a big problem, I made DVD Video with Encore1.5, everything was ok until I noticed some DVD player don’t play it. I tried it with more than 10 DVD Players, more than 80% played it but rest not, I don’t know why and what the problem is? All DVD players were ok and play other DVD videos without any problem.
    When I was authoring it I put Player Region code on 1 and I set this setting on all DVD players too.
    I think I did every thing well but I can’t understand why this problem still exits.
    This is very big problem, can anybody help me? Is there any solution?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Any of these could be problems.

1) You put a region code on it. Why? This was not a good idea and just makes it potentially a problem. You don't usually need region codes on DVDs you make yourself. In fact, I don't know of any cases where you do need them.
    2) Your DVD may have PAL video, yet you coded it for region 1 (NTSC only) and this is causing problems for the player.
    3) Your media is not recognized by some players. This happens a lot.
    We generally recommend either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media for best results.
    4) Your disc is DVD+/-R DL and you didn't tell us it's a dual layer disc.
    Dual layer discs aren't recognized by some players.
    5) Your disc is DVD+/-RW and you didn't tell us. Some older players have problems with RW discs.
    6) You didn't make the DVD correctly.
    7) Your DVD has too a video bit rate too high for successful playback on some players (anything over 9000 Kbps may be a problem on some players).

It could even be something else that I haven't mentioned, but those are the most likely causes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is quite normal. Not all DVD players will play all burned discs or disc brands.
    Also not all software author the DVD correct way.
    First thing is to use a good brand DVD.
    If you use DVD+R it is a good idea ti book type to DVD-ROM.
    Also check compiled DVD with PgcEdit, if it will find any command problems.
    Region has nothing to do with DVD playability. You should not put region coding on your DVD at all, it is just a nuisance.

Little correction on region. It has nothing to do with PAL or NTSC, it only has to do where on this planet you live.
    Holywood's invention so DVD can be realised at different times.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for your reply. These are about the parameters you mentioned.
    1) In fact I didn’t put region code; after I built it I noticed that Encore default region code is 1.
    2) All video sources are NTSC.
    3) Media is almost good.
    4, 5) it is not dual layer and RW, it is DVD5.
    6)I think I made it in a good way but my source video format was MPEG2 program with M2P extension and Encore didn’t transcode it, maybe it was my mistake. Video bit rate isn’t too high, it is around 6400.
    Surely I will check it with PgcEdit, is there another software that could help me?
    I hope to get more idea.
    Thanks again for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not all "good" media is equally readable by all drives. You need to run more experiments before you can say where the problem is. For example, in those players that don't like the disc you burned, try a different movie, authored by different software (say, a burned copy of a commercial movie that you own), and burn that movie onto the same brand of media. If that also fails to work with the player (but works elsewhere), then you can conclude that the player doesn't like that brand of media. If the movie plays fine, then suspicion falls more firmly on the software used to author the disc. Etc.

Different disc manufacturers use different types of dye (we're talking about burnable discs, not factory-pressed discs). Not all players will work well with all types of dye, so that is one factor you need to consider. Disc quality is yet another issue. So, too, is burn speed. Burning at too high a speed (even if the media and drive claim to handle it) can sometimes result in marginally burned discs, with the result that not all drives will work with the disc. You may also notice freezing and other problems (particularly when reading near the outer edge), even with drives that seem to accept the discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does "Media is almost good" mean ?

Does almost good mean mostly bad ? Bad, but trying hard ?

What media are you actually using ?
    What DVD players did you test it on ?
    Are the results consistent ? That is, if you burn different movies to disc, do the same player refuse to play them ?
    What are you burning with ? (software, burner)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, how are you burning to disc? And...are you positive all your files are DVD compliant? Have you checked the DVD structure to make sure all your VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs are there under the VIDEO_TS folder before burning?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I recommend exporting DVD files and burn with ImgBurn.
    As was mentioned use high quality media and if using +R then set the booktype to DVD-ROM.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    What does "Media is almost good" mean ?
    That's a good question. "Almost" is an important word. I wouldn't want to eat something that was "almost" food, for example...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sean_ve99
    Thanks so much for your reply. These are about the parameters you mentioned.
    1) In fact I didn’t put region code; after I built it I noticed that Encore default region code is 1.
    Any program that defaults to putting a region code on a DVD you burn to DVD-5 is a program that you should throw away and NEVER NEVER NEVER use again. I know nothing about Encore, but I do strongly advise that you stop using it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks from all person that put time to help me. My media is Sony, maybe it is not excellent but it is not bad too. I burnt it on Sony DVD-R (4.7GB) and sent it for replication, my burner software is Nero 7and I authored it with Adobe Encore 1.5, the DVD player that didn’t play it is Panasonic VK61D, it plays all DVD except my DVD. I tested my DVD with another Panasonic (DVD-S29) and result was very good, it played it very well. I got confused.
    Yes, all files are DVD-compliant and DVD structure was fine and as I said most of DVD players plays it.
    About Book type! I don’t know where should I set it? Where is it?
    If there is problem in DVD structure why most of DVD player plays it and if it is ok why some don’t play it? When I can’t find the problem how I can solve it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Consider these 5 points:
    - Sony media made in Malaysia is crap. But made in Taiwan is good.
    - Nero is not a good program for burning DVD-Video, use ImgBurn.
    - Encore should be compliant, but do not assume so.
    - DVD-R does not have a booktype aside from "DVD-R". You can do nothing.
    - Panasonic is not known for making the best DVD players.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote