VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone...been working this DVD for days, read every guide but it wont work. The thing is I wanna add a subtitle to a DVD that has 4 episodes, so I downloaded the subtitles in spanish, converted to .sup. Demuxed everything, added the nwe subtitles after working with Subtitle Creator and tried to mux it all together using Muxman but appearently there's a biterror somewhere and it wont write.
    Since I've been spending a lot of time tring to fix this, I also tried using ReJig and it worked just fine, but it didnt load the subtitles I added before. So... I'm lost again.

The thing is that most of the guides show how to add subtitles to a movie, and my problem is that I have to add the subtitles to four episodes that belong to a series DVD collection... so, I dont know how to do this.
    (Just in case, I joined the subtitles to all the episodes as only one file)

Please, I need your help :S

Thanks in advance

(Thanks to The Matrixx and Bluedha for their own guides)

Here's the error from Muxman, tried to change the bitrate with ReStream but kept coming the same error)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

I've read about that problem, but never encountered it myself.
    I also tried using ReJig and it worked just fine, but it didnt load the subtitles I added before.
    I don't understand what you're saying there, but my suggestion is to use the authoring app included in IFOEdit. It takes everything in the same format as Muxman; Celltimes.txt, M2V, AC3, and SUP file subtitles. It's more "forgiving" than is Muxman.
    my problem is that I have to add the subtitles to four episodes that belong to a series DVD collection.
    If you've read the guides then surely you've come across the recommendation of using VobBlanker to replace the videos back into the original DVD.

Also, about the failed mux; go to the root of the C drive and have a look at the Muxman log to see if there's more information about why it failed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use AVS2DVD since you already have compliant sources it wont recode them, it will take the subs and author everyting leaving you only to choose wether you want no menu/static menu/motion menu, you can also setup the chapters for each title, oh and its free.

AVS2DVD has grown a lot these last six months, dont let the old comments on the videohelp's AVS2DVD page "fool" you.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help guys... tried using IfoEdit, and I was getting so happy seeing it was working until... another error! I dont know anymore, its driving me crazy!

The ReJig thing, its a program that allows you to authorize, remux, and stuff.

So... what do I do now?

Here's the error from IfoEdit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricardouk
    Use AVS2DVD since you already have compliant sources it wont recode them, it will take the subs and author everyting leaving you only to choose wether you want no menu/static menu/motion menu, you can also setup the chapters for each title, oh and its free.

AVS2DVD has grown a lot these last six months, dont let the old comments on the videohelp's AVS2DVD page "fool" you.
    AVStoDVD, not to be confused with AVI2DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again, tried using AVStoDVD and didnt work either.. I'm starting to think I might be doing something wrong even though I'm following all the steps to add subtitles to a DVD...

And now it showed this

Jeez I dont know what else I can do...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Based on that IFOEdit pic (you didn't check the Muxman log to find the same?), there are so many buffer underruns that the combined maximum bitrate has to be too high in places. You didn't add any audio streams? And you haven't reencoded the video? Everything is just as demuxed from a retail commercial DVD? If this is something you downloaded, then anything might happen.
    ...tried to change the bitrate with ReStream
    That does nothing. It's just a number in the header. It's the real maximum video bitrates encountered during the mux that are important, and you seem to have a whole lot that combined with the audio, subs and muxing overhead go way over the limit.

My guess is that the only way you'll get it to mux is to either drop one of the audio tracks or reencode the video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono, I've tried almost every tool I could find and I'm going nuts!

Let me explain... I demuxed evreything using DVDDecrypter with the IFO I mode and kept only one audio, the video and no subtitle at all, just in case I didnt have enough space after adding the subs I wanna add. So, did that, then opened DVDLabPro (NTSC target system) and loaded the video and audio I got from the demux, inserted them into MOVIE, imported the chapters and then imported the .srt subtitles and generated the "subtitle stream" and finally "compiled the DVD". All good with DVDLabPro.

Then, copy pasted and overwrote the .vob files. Opened IFOUpdate, changed the setting (according to The Matrixx guide) and tried to update the final thing but I got an error saying that the original IFO file was too small to the new PGC. So, now I'm confused... isnt it suppoused to be better now that I got reid off the other stuff that I didnt want??

Seriously... Im no expert, actually its the first time I try to do something like this, but I have absolutely no idea anymore about how to add the stupid spanish subs into a dvd that has only portuguese and english subs...

I'm sorry... I'm a frustrated woman right now

Here's the new error

Thanks Manono for helping me out
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, that guide you followed is obsolete. And you said you got only one audio stream, but the Muxman pic shows 2 audio streams, as does the IFOEdit pic. Maybe you tried different things during different attempts. And I don't understand if you got a good DVD with DVDLab Pro, why you had to do the stuff after that. Maybe that's how that guide gets the "new" episodes back into the original DVD. But as I said, that guide is obsolete. Try again following the Method 2 of Baldrick's much more up-to-date guide, the preferred method these days:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html

You'll have to put the entire DVD onto the hard drive (DVD Decrypter in File Mode, unless it's a newish movie with newer copy protections in place, in which case you should decrypt using DVDFab HD Decrypter), before then demuxing the movie using PGCDemux.

Also, based on that IFOUpdate pic, you may have a case of all 4 episodes being contained within a single PGC. If so, you have serious problems that may require joining all the subs into one big and continuous file. Either that or you just used IFOUpdate incorrectly. Can you post a pic here? Open the DVD in VobBlanker. Highlight the VTS that contains the episodes so that the PGCs contained within that VTS appear in the bottom window. Post a pic of what you see here, please.

When you played the DVDLab Pro remuxed episodes as DVDs, were they OK, with video, audio, and subs? If so, you may not have to start over, but just get the episodes back into the original DVD properly. But I'll need to see the VobBlanker pic to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  10. When you tried with AVStoDVD, what subs format did you feed? SUP or SRT (if the download was in SRT format, of course)? If it was SUP, try using the original SRT.

Another try is to compress a little bit your video when demuxing it with ReJig. Just 95%, for example, to leave some space to subs. Subs use some bitrate (very few, indeed) that can be the reason of excessive bitrate said by MuxMan.

Finally, sending me (avstodvd@gmail.com) or posting here the log file generated by AVStoDVD may help a lot.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by _MrC_
    Another try is to compress a little bit your video when demuxing it with ReJig. Just 95%, for example, to leave some space to subs. Subs use some bitrate (very few, indeed) that can be the reason of excessive bitrate said by MuxMan.
    Are you sure about that? As I understand the problem, it isn't the filesizes at issue but the max bitrates going too high, and transcoding to shrink the overall size doesn't affect the max bitrate. I don't think. When I suggested she may have to reencode, it wasn't to shrink the size but to lower the max video bitrate. I don't think she'll have to reencode, though, because evidently the episodes authored OK in DVD Lab Pro. But as I don't use that program, I'm not real sure about that and admit to still being a little confused about what she's tried and why she's having the problems she's having. And that's one reason I suggested trying Baldrick's guide which is the way I do it, pretty much.

And, as you mentioned, the sub size is so small I can't believe they're the reason for the problems she's having. Plus, she removed whatever sub streams the original DVD had.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Quite sure about max bitrate change when transcoding. See attached BitRate Viewer shots.

Original MPEG2 sample ---------- VS ----------- 90% shrinked sample (ReJig)

Neither I use DVD Lab Pro, but I know that MuxMan is very strict in accepting MPEG2 streams, just one bitrate spike and the whole stream is rejected.

Surely AVStoDVD log file could help a lot, because it contains a detailed description (MediaInfo.dll) of input files, including avg bitrate.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, that's pretty convincing evidence. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono, here's the thing... Tried using the second Method and it actually worked!! But Vobblanker didnt. Here's the error, maybe I did something wrong with that program.. I dont know...
    Here's the error that occurred

Just in case, here's the Log file :
    Version 2.1.1.0. Starting new process:

=========== STARTING VTS_01 ====================
    VTS 01: Opening IFO
    VTS 01: Processing VOB (Menus)
    --------------MENU VOB PREPARING PHASE-
    VTS 01: Keeping Menu LU 01, PGC 05
    VTS 01: Keeping Menu LU 01, PGC 09
    VTS 01: Keeping Menu LU 01, PGC 24
    --------------MENU VOB WRITING PHASE STARTED-
    VTS 01: Keeping Cell VID/CID: 01/01 --> 01/01
    VTS 01: Keeping Cell VID/CID: 02/01 --> 02/01
    VTS 01: Keeping Cell VID/CID: 03/01 --> 03/01
    --------------MENU VOB WRITING FINISHED-
    VTS 01: Cell data array filled (Menus)
    VTS 01: Processing IFO (Menu)
    Looping into Menu PGCs and cells
    PGCN Pointer: Pointing Prev PGCN to itself in LU 1, PGC 5
    PGCN Pointer: Pointing Prev PGCN to itself in LU 1, PGC 9
    PGCN Pointer: Pointing Prev PGCN to itself in LU 1, PGC 24
    Building VTSM_C_ADT table
    Filling VTSM_VOBU_ADMAP table
    VTS 01: Processing VOB (Titles)
    --------------TITLE VOB PREPARING PHASE-
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 01 by C:\Documents and Settings\Gime\Mis documentos\Aversifunca\Remuxed\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =5.
    Cells in replacing VOB=4
    WARNING: Number of Cells lower in replacing title. Blanking last ones
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 02 by C:\Documents and Settings\Gime\Mis documentos\Aversifunca\Remuxed\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =4.
    Cells in replacing VOB=4
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 03 by C:\Documents and Settings\Gime\Mis documentos\Aversifunca\Remuxed\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =4.
    Cells in replacing VOB=4
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 04 by C:\Documents and Settings\Gime\Mis documentos\Aversifunca\Remuxed\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =4.
    Cells in replacing VOB=4
    VTS 01: Replacing PGC 05 by C:\Documents and Settings\Gime\Mis documentos\Aversifunca\Remuxed\VTS_01_0.IFO
    Cells to be replaced =0.
    Cells in replacing VOB=4
    Error: Cell not found
    --------------TITLE VOB WRITING PHASE STARTED-

PostCommands changed into Precommands in 0 PGCs of a total of 0

Finished with ERROR. Process Aborted and not completed

Maybe you can help me again? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As you can see... the fifth entry on VobBlank says its 0 By, does that mean its actually not important? I dont know... What if I try doing it without that one? Cause if I clik on it, there's a video playing and it looks important but I dont know if I can just skip it... What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys... tried playing it on Power DVD and no subtitles at all. And that's not the worse, the display of the menu is all screwed up... something must be wrong about that VobBlanker thing and the mux I did should be wrong too cause it wont show the subtitles. I'm still lost... and to be honest, pretty tired with this stupid DVD. Wish I could just get the DVD "with" spanish subtitles.

Thanks anyways
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by gimeis
    As you can see... the fifth entry on VobBlank says its 0?
    Why are you trying to replace the 5th PGC? There are only 4 episodes, aren't there? Replace the first 4 and leave the 5th alone. It's empty (0 MB size) and is only for the Play All feature of the DVD. It references the other 4 in turn.

About the subs, when you play the various Muxman authored episodes as a DVD (before the VobBlanker step), they show subs, don't they? Since you decrypted the DVD without subs (?), then the IFOs think there are no subs. The subs have to be "turned on". That's easy and at the same time you can set the language, if it's not set already. Further down in that guide is my method for making the subs show up:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html#1778185

As for the menu being messed up, if you decrypted the entire DVD using DVD Decrypter in File Mode (?), and if that DVD on the hard drive plays fine, then it should also play fine after replacing the episodes, if you've replaced them correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono... sorry for keep on asking... but you're the only one who can help me now ...

There's one question. When I use PCGDemux and browse VTS_01_0 (the bigger file) on mode by "VOB id" and hit domain "titles", there are 4 VID listed. I have to demux every single one of those separately right? (since there are 4 episodes)

And, when I use MuxMan to add the subtitles, I have to add audio, video and subtitle for each episode in particular right? But.. here's the thing.. how can I actually put all four episodes together to make it "fit" somehow if I wanna use VobBlanker later to keep the menu? Is that actually possible or I just have to see another way to put all episodes together without the original menu?

Another thing... tried to mux all together for the first episode, but cant see the subtitles even though MuxMan said it was finished ok and everything. Triying to mux each episode to see if that happens in all of them. But dont really know what to expect

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="manono"]
    About the subs, when you play the various Muxman authored episodes as a DVD (before the VobBlanker step), they show subs, don't they?
    No, actually the subs don't appear. Checked on SubtitleCreator to see if there's anything I can change about color or something, but nothing.

Since you decrypted the DVD without subs (?), then the IFOs think there are no subs.
    Just in case I kept the english subs, erased the portuguese ones and added the spanish subs. When I used MuxMan to put it all back together it didnt show the spanish subs but the english ones it did. Although the didnt look as they should, they looked kinda gray, like a "ghost subtitle" a very light gray kinda subtitle.

I hope you get what happened... in that case, just ask me and I'll try to explain.. I'm not an expert or anything like that, thats why I'm so lost. Sorry for that
    Quote Quote  
  20. No, actually the subs don't appear.
    Oh, if they don't show up in the Muxman authored episodes when playing them as DVDs in PowerDVD or whatever, then you have problems. You can check the muxman.log in the root of the C Drive to see if there's more information. Or post it here if you can't figure it out. I don't make subs in SubtitleCreator, or convert them to SUP files in SubtitleCreator, so I can't help there. But I think the guide is fairly clear about what to do.
    Although the didnt look as they should, they looked kinda gray, like a "ghost subtitle" a very light gray kinda subtitle.
    That's minor. They're not supposed to have the right colors after the Muxman authoring. Either they'll get the right colors again after the VobBlanker step, or you can easily fix them.
    There's one question. When I use PCGDemux and browse VTS_01_0 (the bigger file) on mode by "VOB id" and hit domain "titles", there are 4 VID listed. I have to demux every single one of those separately right? (since there are 4 episodes)
    I'm assuming that VobBlanker pic you showed is of the original retail DVD, not your remake of it, and not something you downloaded somewhere. Even though the guide says to demux by VOB ID, better is to demux by PGC. In this case, though, it should amount to the same thing. And yes, demux each episode to its own folder to be worked on separately.
    And, when I use MuxMan to add the subtitles, I have to add audio, video and subtitle for each episode in particular right?
    And chapters, the Celltimes.txt loaded in File->Import Chapter. Yes, everything gets loaded into Muxman for each episode and authored before going on to the next episode.
    how can I actually put all four episodes together to make it "fit" somehow if I wanna use VobBlanker later to keep the menu?
    Highlight the PGC for each episode in the VobBlanker lower window, the "Replace" button lights up, click on it and scroll to the VTS_01_0.IFO for that particular Muxman reauthored episode, do the same for the other 3 PGCs, give it an output folder, and hit "Process". That replaces all 4 episodes with your new and improved episodes with the Spanish language subtitles. The menus and anything else in there will be kept and function as before. That's the way it's supposed to work.

I think you said you demuxed the entire DVD, menus and all, using DVD Decrypter in File mode. I can't see that part of the VobBlanker screen, but if so, then the menus should be there in that DVD, and should still be there after the processing is complete. I'm much more worried about the new subtitles not showing up, partly because that's the point of this whole exercise, adding in your Spanish subs, and partly because I can't help if they don't get in there as I create subs completely differently. But again, check the Muxman Log. By the way, is this a 4:3 DVD, or a 16:9 DVD? VobBlanker, under Video Format, will tell you if you don't know. If 16:9, each sub has to be loaded for both Wide and for LB. Did you notice any red warnings when loading subs into Muxman? If you only loaded the English for Wide, and then the Spanish for LB, that could explain your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono, tried again... started all over and actually worked. The subtitles are there!! (Thanks)

About the VobBlanker thing, I'm trying right now and as you said I didnt replace the fifth PGC so the log says there's a warning. But I hope it works without that thing as you said before.

About the DVD itself, its NTSC and its 4:3 aspect ratio. I'll tell you if this thing works alright?

Thanks a LOT!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well Manono, it had to work at some point. Thanks a lot, really appreciate your advices and the time you took to explain all those things for me.

The DVD looks great, the subtitles are there, and the menu is the same, so I'm completely happy!!!

Thanks Manono, again.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Whew! I was getting worried. Good going! I hope you paid attention to what you did differently this time to make it work. If and when you undertake a similar project in the future it should go much more smoothly. And now you can teach your friends how to do it. Congratulations again for your success and for not giving up when you didn't seem to be getting anywhere.

As an aside, I don't know why you even want Spanish subs as your English is perfect. If it didn't say Argentina under your name I would have thought you to be a native English speaker. Maybe it's for friends or family members.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, thanks Manono!! *blushed*

The guide was great, but your help got me through it and finally got it done!
    Since, we're talking about it, and you dont have the place you're from.. where are you from anyways??

My english is less than perfect, but I try to keep up with it so I wont forget

Lots of hugs, and take good care!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Me? I'm from the US and live in Hawaii.
    Quote Quote