VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to convert a MKV file to MP4 with .ass subtitles. I have tried a lot of programs, but not many have support for subtitles and if they do they don't seem to work with .ass subtitles. Also, if I did find a program that worked, would it be possible to keep the style of the subtitle or would they be the plain looking kind?

Anyone know some programs that might work? I have tried GotSent, Yamb, and some others I forget...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want permanent/hardcoded subtitles? THen I would try xvid4psp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Do you want permanent/hardcoded subtitles? THen I would try xvid4psp.
    Doesn't matter, as long as the subs are kept the same style. I have actually tried that before, it will re-encode the whole thing instead of demuxing and muxing them back into mp4. It would take a few hours to do that. I can't just demux and mux them to mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by MasterRoshi
    Doesn't matter, as long as the subs are kept the same style. I have actually tried that before, it will re-encode the whole thing instead of demuxing and muxing them back into mp4. It would take a few hours to do that. I can't just demux and mux them to mp4?
    I don't think .mp4 supports .ass subs. If you don't re-encode, you have to have them separate to playback on PC

file.mp4
    file.ass

Why do you want to replace the container?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    I don't think .mp4 supports .ass subs. If you don't re-encode, you have to have them separate to playback on PC

file.mp4
    file.ass

Why do you want to replace the container?
    Hmm, I guess I'll just stick with re-encoding it all then. Was just hoping to save time.
    Quote Quote