VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I need to convert movies that I made with quicktime to mpeg-1 format, because the journal to which this movie (and the article it accompanies) will be submitted only accepts mpeg's. I've used FFMpegX to do this many times before, with no problems. However, the frames being converted at present are bigger format than before --- 1072x720 --- and I cannot get the converted movie to retain the right frame size. Even when I select "unconstrained" in the menu, it changes the output to 972x720 which messes up the aspect ratio and the quality of the results. The really irritating thing is, I ran into this a couple weeks ago and somehow managed to fix it, but of course I don't remember what were the magic settings that worked. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, how did you get around it? Many thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried TMPGenc? It can convert QuickTime to MPEG-1. I have done so before, but not with high def resolutions, but I had no problems to convert standard definition QuickTime to MPEG-1 with it. It should allow you to use 1072x720 if you wish.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake, I should have said I am using Mac OSX 10.5.4. TMPGenc appears to be only for Windows OS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jtk
    My mistake, I should have said I am using Mac OSX 10.5.4. TMPGenc appears to be only for Windows OS.
    One of the things that really sucks about Mac and which no one will tell you is that your options are extremely limited
    for video/audio work. You often only have 1 or 2 choices and if they don't work, you're out of luck.

The most hard core Mac fanboy that I know of admitted to me that he runs Windows on his Mac in a virtual machine because there are some programs that simply have no Mac equivalents.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick for your cunning plan! Originally I ignored that program because the listing on the Video Software List under "Type" says Mpeg StreamClip is Windoze only, and a search on that site for Mac-compatible software came up with very little. After seeing your answer I went to the original website and there's a Mac version too. Someone should update the Video Software List.

Thanks for your help too, jman98, even if we are of different religions ;^> . I have never run any Windows programs on any of my Macs, starting over 20 yrs. ago. Don't intend to break that record either!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    follow-up for completeness: MPegStreamClip does not convert QuickTime to MPEG-1. I have contacted the authors to find out whether this capability will ever be included. OH well.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jtk
    1072x720 ... 972x720
    It could be an issue with QuickTime:
    When I convert a media file to MPEG-1 at 1072x720, then QuickTime Player will display it at 972x720, while other tools do report the resolution as 1072x720.
    Perhaps your output file was fine all along...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case points out an important fact worth keeping in mind: QT reports the resolution it is currently using for display, not necessarily the fundamental resolution of the file. The basic rule is to ignore what QT is telling you about resolution -- use something else.
    Quote Quote