VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have had some problems recently playing "older" Divx movies on my Philips 5982. By older, I mean, movies from the 80's that generally have been ripped with older technology or are just not that popular.

One file told me that: "Resolution not supported", and would only play sound.
    The other stops periodically during the movie. Reach 24 mins in -> stop. Fast forward past that point 2 min -> it playes for 7 mins -> stop. etc etc. A very frustrating problem.

Both files play properly on my PC (VLC player). I want to know if there is a way, or an app, that I can load these avi's into and re-save them or re-rip them so that they will play on my Philips 5982. I was going to try VirtualDub, but I thought I'd ask here first and save myself some time.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try reconvert using avirecomp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It could be useful if you posted MediaInfo text report about the files
    Hubba hubba zoot zoot.......... :)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anything bigger than 720x576 probably won't play. This is why you get the resolution error. The only way to fix it is to re-encode to a lower resolution.

Playback on a PC is absolutely meaningless because PCs support all kinds of things that DVD players do not.

Some DVD players are reported to not support well if at all files encoded with the old Divx 3 codec. If any of your problem files use Divx 3, that could be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try Baldrick's suggestion as a easy fix. VLC can play damaged, incomplete, out of spec, or corrupted videos, which is one of it's advantages. Most set top players can't do this.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Baldrick's suggestion and.......it worked!!! I just wanted to say thanks to all that helped. These forums are great, and your guys make 'em that much better. Cheers Baldrick!
    Quote Quote