VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Newbie (To DVD editing and this forum). I searched for this topic but only got one thread and it was not helpful.

Anyway, I just finished a 1.4 GB DVD-R with my Hitachi camcoder. It seems like the first three chapters are corrupt. When trying to view them with the Camcoder, the thumbnail creator hangs. When playing it in my PC, the same chapters' thumbnails show as colored diagonal lines. If I click on them, the first one plays, the second and third hang (requiring ctrl/atl/del to exit the DVD player) and the rest of the disk plays well. I would like to 1) fix the corrupted chapters; or, 2) cut out the corrupt chapters. I would prefer the first option (they are videos of a WW2 B-25 Mitchell flyby from the last 4th of July).

I would like to know what do I have to do, what tools I have to get and where to get them. I would like to keep the same image/sound quality but I would hate to spend tons of money in software that I'll probably not use ever again.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried copy all the files from the dvd to your hdd? and then try play the files from your hdd.

If it wont work try top copy the files use isobuster or cdroller to copy the files to your hdd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check out this thread

I also had some luck with bad VOB using vob2mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick and fredfillis. I just tried to copy the files to the hard drive and it didn't happen. I also tried isobuster and it could not read the data. vob2mpeg is currently running but I'm getting the feeling that it is actually hanging because I'm getting the same "reading" sound from the DVD drive that I had with the other programs. This is worse than I first thought because it sounds like I cannot even convert the data so I can remove the corrupted segments. I should have changed the disk when I first noticed the problem instead of filling it.

It was not hanging. It just finished the conversion but it only did the first program (which have two spots where it stops playing for a couple of seconds). It said that it finished converting the vobset but that's all it created. I'm open to other suggestions!

Thanks,

Ed
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ed, can you just drag and drop the good files to your hard drive? Just one VOB that is bad?

When I had similar issues it took isobuster a couple of DAYS to grab what it could. There were some parts on the disk that were just trashed. vobblanker is also worth a shot.

I had about 8 bad discs and the ones that would not read correctly in the camera were def. the toughest and had the least success with. All up, I lost a couple of minutes per disc

After that experience, my former camera hit the road.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't do anything with it other than watch it. I have to go through the root menu and click on one of the "good" files so I can watch the rest of the disk. Unfortunately, the bulk of the data is in one .99 GB VOB file. There are 2 smaller VOBs. One seems to be the menu and the other is the tail end of the DVD which I assume that was saved as a separate VOB because is from a different month. I just copied the files to the PC individually. I now have all the files saved in the HD except the corrupt VOB which gives a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" message. I did a search for "cyclic redundancy check" and found a free tool CDCheck 3, which is a data recovery tool for CDs/DVDs. I'll try this tool and report back with the results.
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, if the disk was written bad by the camera there is probably no way to correct it.

Any chance there is a scratch etc on the disc? Check out http://www.percontra.net/2corruptcddvdrecovery.htm

Others have suggested cdroller, I've never used it but it might be worth a try.

My plan would be something like this.

1. If you connect the camera to the PC does the camera show as a DVD drive? If so, maybe try isobuster with the disk in the camera (IMO, the camera would probably be more likely to read its own garbage). Its been a while since I bought isobuster (I had 8 disks to mess with) but I'd set it up for a nominal number of retries for bad sectors etc. When isobuster can't read a sector / cluster etc it fills that area with dummy data. This may allow you to transfer a somewhat complete file with a few dummy data areas.

2. If you can't do 1, then try the same thing with the disk in the PC.

3. After you've done 1 or 2, try vobblanker / vob2mpg. Videoredo, quickstream fix might also help.

If you can't do 1 or 2, I'd try capturing whatever I can direct from the camera.

good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No luck with any frogram that I have tried. I just used CDCheck and Badcopy with no luck. I have now tried every program mentioned in this thread except Videoredo, which is currently running in quickstream fix mode. If this does not work, how can I record the playback from the sectors that do work? I don't think that this camera can be connected to the PC. It only has an AV output and I don't have a video card with RCA sockets (is that the correct word?).

BTW, the camcoder cannot play the bad sectors. I just took a look at the disk (I had not done that, dUh!) and there is a small but wide scratch in it. It may be that the problem is not the camcoder, after all, but a bad disk.

Oh well, I need the PC for more important stuff. I'll try this later in the week.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had some luck removing / recovering from scratches with the polish used to remove scratches from cars. Toothpaste apparently works as well. I don't suggest either as a permanent remedy but they may allow you read more than you can now or even get the whole thing.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need a good DVD reader, for one. What you may "think" is a good reader may not be very good.

You can also try something like ISO Puzzle and let it work for 8-10 hours.

DVD Decrypter can often read a VOB down to smaller chapters and pieces. See if the camera broken the VOB up. Even if part of the VOB is bad, maybe you can recover 80% or more of the file.

You can also try a service that works to recover bad discs. (For example, this is something I do, and at least half of all "dead" discs are recoverable.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again fredfillis for all the ideas.

lordsmurf: I'm currently running ISOPuzzle. I hope that this works. I'll leave this running overnight and see what happens. The VOB is one file but it should be broken into 40+ chapters. Whether this is what you are talking about or not, I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update:
    Isopuzzle has been running for 23+ hours with exactly 0.0% of the vob converted to an iso file. I'm going to try DVDdecrypter next. If it doesn't work either, I guess that I will have to take the disk to a data recovery service. Thank you guys for all the advice.
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDdecrypter is one of the programs that I have already tried, so I think that I'm out of luck!
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running DVDdecrypter again. It has been running for almost 25hours and has recovered 9,100 KB out of the 304,000+ KB of the VOB file. It has tried to read the file over 10,000 times and found 510 errors in it. Although the VOB file being copied to the HD is growing, I don't think that there is really any more data being added to it (at least not any usable data. I'm going to leave it running overnight and see what happens.
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of recovering ALL of the VOB file, try to extract only one chapter (or cell) at a time from it. See how much can be ripped that way.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see any way that I can extract individual chapters from this particular VOB. Am I missing something?
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update!
    I tried the DVD in my wife's computer, dragged the vob file to her desktop and viola, it copied. I just moved it to my PC with a thumb drive. Now I have too see if I can repair the vob or just delete the damaged scenes.
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good news!

I would still have a go with vob2mpg.

You can also rename the one vob file to mpg and just see how that plays.
    Quote Quote