VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Canon MVX430 DV camera that shoots in widescreen (16:9). When I capture to my PC, the video files are 16:9.

However, when I author them to DVD, they display as 16:9 with black borders on all four sides. MediaInfo reports these authored files to be 4:3.

I have tried at least three different DVD authoring programmes (WinDVD Creator, DVDFlick and something else) and they all give the same result.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get my videos to show in full widescreen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yurkyurk
    I have a Canon MVX430 DV camera that shoots in widescreen (16:9). When I capture to my PC, the video files are 16:9.

However, when I author them to DVD, they display as 16:9 with black borders on all four sides. MediaInfo reports these authored files to be 4:3.

I have tried at least three different DVD authoring programmes (WinDVD Creator, DVDFlick and something else) and they all give the same result.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get my videos to show in full widescreen?
    I'm not familiar with those programs but you need to change the authoring project preferences from 4:3 (forces letterbox) to wide 16:9. Also check the imported DV clip properties. Make sure all clips show as 16:9.

Also, check MPeg2 encoding settings which also should show 16:9.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you load the avi files directly, or via avisynth ?

A 16:9 DV file has the same resolution as a 4:3 DV file. When loaded through avisynth, the 16:9 flag is lost, and this can cause some programs to read the file as 4:3 and encode and author as 4:3. I know that FAVC can be tricked by this, and has no override at present.

You can repair the DVD structure that you have already authored by using DVD Patcher on the VOBs and IFOAR2WS on the IFO files. This will change the DVD to be read as a widescreen (16:9) disc. So long as the authoring tools didn't letterbox the video, they should play back fine.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I load the avi files directly. I'll have a look at those tools, but I'd prefer to prevent the problem than repair it afterwards. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Using AVStoDVD:

1. Add the DV file
    2. Click on 'View\Edit Title Settings' button
    3. Click on 'Video' tab
    4. Toggle off 'Auto Video Setup'
    5. Select '16:9' in 'Video Aspect Ratio'
    6. Click 'OK'
    7. START

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage