VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello videohelp community. I've used the site quite a bit, but never had a problem before which required me to post. Usually I can find the answer, or software I need with a good search. Anyhow here's my problem this time.

Is anyone here savvy with working with potentially corrupted video files? Yesterday I found that the majority of the video files I have stored on my external HD are unplayable, including about 50 sporting events and other downloads! It seems they are all .avi files and are not recognized as video files by any program, including Media Player, Gspot, video fixers, etc. I finally ran some through a hex editor and compared to a working .avi files, which I believe usually have somethinglike "RIFF...AVI LIST" in the first 16 bytes. Well, all the unplayable files show nothing in the hex editor, just 00's across the board. Any thoughts? I'm completely stuck...
    Quote Quote  
  2. here's one thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic293355.html

the problem will be that unless you know exactly what the resolution, framerate, codec with options - they were each encoded with i don't think anything is going to fix them.

sounds like they were deleted and then you used a file recovery program to get them back?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply and the link. I didn't recover the files or anything. The rest of the files on the drive seem fine. It seems like only the avi files have been affected, very strange.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey guys, sorry for bringing up this really old thread, but when I tried following the instructions in slide show movie maker, i can't choose the codecs properly. It doesn't give the codecs for xvid or divx or anything at all. Same with audio, it doesn't show mp3 or anything. It shows microsoft video 1, cinepak codec, etc. I'm guessing maybe windows 7 and up aren't supported? What can I do instead to get this step acomplished?
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coldness View Post
    Hey guys, sorry for bringing up this really old thread, but when I tried following the instructions in slide show movie maker, i can't choose the codecs properly. It doesn't give the codecs for xvid or divx or anything at all. Same with audio, it doesn't show mp3 or anything. It shows microsoft video 1, cinepak codec, etc. I'm guessing maybe windows 7 and up aren't supported?

What can I do instead to get this step acomplished?
    First of all, start a brand-new topic, instead of hijacking ancient (AND UN-RELATED) ones.
    Quote Quote