VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Previously I use WinDV and firewire to transfer footages to my comp on a winxp environment. Had no problem editing clips at all (with Windows Movie Maker). But now that I have a new laptop equipped with Vista, I am having difficulty trimming the DV-AVI files on WMM.

During playback, the video plays fine on the preview monitor. The problem is with Advancing or rewinding a clip frame by frame. The preview monitor is not accurate during this time. It doesn't give me the exact sequence I expect to see (Ex. at 29.97 seconds of the clip, Hitting NEXT FRAME won't take me to the next movement or at the exact frame I saw at 30.00 seconds during playback/pause. Instead, it shows me a different clip either 2 seconds more or less, behind or in advance. )

I'll try to describe in detail: During slowmo, in a scene where someone crosses a finish line.. hitting next frame would expect you to see the person passing or moving further away from the finish line, but mine doesn't show that instead, he is at least 5 steps behind the finish line????? This just doesn't happen with NEXT frame but same way with PREVIOUS FRAME.

Is there an adjustment I need to make? I am totally clueless. Because of this problem I cannot TRIM BEGIN or TRIM END a clip as accurately as possible.

The clip seems to be fine because I tried it also on a winxp environment. But I don't want to edit all clips on the old machine because it is too slow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are just trimming then you can use virtualdub in direct stream copy mode to trim without re-encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guns1inger. Virtual Dub is fine, in so many ways, but its fade effect is not as smooth as that of WMM. Well.. that's just my opinion. I don't know if I am ready to give up yet on WMM.

By the way, what is the difference between direct stream copy and full processing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Full Processing re-encodes the video. It is required if you use any filters. Direct Stream Copy simply passes the video straight through to disc without re-encoding. If you are doing simple cuts only to a DV avi file, Direct Stream Copy is fast and does not reduce quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I see the difference. Thanks for pointing it out. I wish I knew though, what's wrong with my vista version of Windows Movie Maker. I recall using someone else's laptop running on Vista before, and WMM didn't give any similar problem regarding Frames.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use WMM, but I tried one of the sample WMV files in Vista and the Previous Frame/Next Frame buttons seem to work properly. I don't have a DV file handy at present, so I can't test that. You might try one of the sample files and see if it behaves the same way. Since DV has every frame as a keyframe, it should work even better.

If the problem is only with DV, maybe a codec problem? If it's with all files, no clue.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, redwudz. Will give it a try. My sister also has WMM running on Vista. Before I got my new laptop, I was using hers and the DV-AVI files seem to work properly (Previous/Next Frame). She got her laptop in 2007 though while I just purchased mine last month (from circuitcity). I don't know what's wrong with my version of Vista.

Regarding codec: To my understanding, DV-AVI's are uncompressed, aren't they? Or am I mistaken?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, they are compressed about 5:1 if memory serves me. Either way, they need a codec for display. MS OS's have a built in DV codec at least in XP and Vista, but it should work. You may have SPI Vista, so no telling what they added with that. I have SP1 Vista on my laptop, but no DV files at present. But I suspect they should work properly in WMM.

I think even if you add another DV codec, MS will still use it's codec to decode. But all this may have nothing to do with your problem in WMM.

Maybe one of our members with more knowledge of DV will come up with a better answer. But do check to see if other formats have the same problem. That would help considerably to narrow down the cause.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked my version of Vista and it says Home Premium Service Pack 1. I'm not sure if that piece of info is helpful

Anyway I tried to import a sample wmv file (as per your suggestion), to see if it behaves the same way on WMM. However, this clip is playing (counter and timeline are moving) but the preview monitor just shows a blank screen with no sound. (FYI: the wmv clip plays normally with Windows Media Player (with video and sound).

What is causing it? I hope it helps narrow down the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try reregistering some of the WMM and DirectX dlls, this can fix system problems sometimes - including the DV issue.

You can either execute these lines from the Windows>Run command box, or download and run the batch file at the link below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

regsvr32 /s qdv.dll
    regsvr32 /s quartz.dll

regsvr32 /s wmvcore.dll
    regsvr32 /s wmvadve.DLL

regsvr32 /s shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml2.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll

regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Movie Maker\wmm2fxa.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Movie Maker\wmm2fxb.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Movie Maker\wmm2ae.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Movie Maker\wmm2filt.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Movie Maker\wmmfilt.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Movie Maker\wmm2ext.dll"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Batch file link - http://www.rehanfx.org/utils/reregdlls.bat
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Safesurfer: After running the batch file, WMV clip is still without audio and video. Likewise, the DV issue still exists.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ione
    Safesurfer: After running the batch file, WMV clip is still without audio and video. Likewise, the DV issue still exists.
    Did you reboot after running the batch file, forgot to mention you need to do that?

You might also consider using Filmerit to see if there are any DirectShow filter problems. Failing that, other than reinstalling the latest DirectX and WMM, can't think of snything else short of a Windows reinstall.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I restarted the computer after running the batch file, but nothing changed. I am almost on the verge of giving up and switching back to WinXP. Because it will be so frustrating to have to change tools I've gone used to (using) just because Vista is having trouble handling the DV-AVI files on WMM. But will give Filmerit a go. I guess it is my last resort. Thanks.

One more thing I notice.. Any DV-AVI output I make out of WMM (Vista), if I try to save the wave file via VirtualDub, it always complains "No Input Audio Stream to Extract". Why is that so?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing I notice.. Any DV-AVI output I make out of WMM (Vista), if I try to save the wave file via VirtualDub, it always complains "No Input Audio Stream to Extract". Why is that so?
    Probably due to WMM creates Type 1 DV-AVIs which store data in a single stream and are not compatible with VFW editors like VirtualDub. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/dvavi.mspx for a fuller explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That explains why..

Well this is just a thought. Is it possible to install that XP version of WMM onto Windows Vista? Now that I am desperate. Yay.
    Someone suggested to try and create a new Windows User Account, then make that account exclusive to video editing? I don't know. Just wondering.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I dont use WMM or Vista but it sounds to me like you have a setting incorrect. Maybe you are advancing by P or B frams or possibly I frames?
    Try resetting everything on both your camera and the software to the defaults
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Advancing by P B and I frames? Sorry I am not sure about those... But I restored WMM to default settings and restarted the comp, but unfortunately that didn't solve it.

I will do my best to capture a clip of the problem so you guys can see. Many thanks for all your input.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    Probably due to WMM creates Type 1 DV-AVIs which store data in a single stream and are not compatible with VFW editors like VirtualDub. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/dvavi.mspx for a fuller explanation.
    Is there a program that can convert type 1 DV-AVIs to type 2 for bigger files? I've seen a couple on the tools section but they are only limited to a smaller file size (less than 6GB).

As always, many thanks to you, safesurfer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    Is there a program that can convert type 1 DV-AVIs to type 2 for bigger files? I've seen a couple on the tools section but they are only limited to a smaller file size (less than 6GB).

As always, many thanks to you, safesurfer.
    Hi:

DVDate or Enosoft DV Processor (both free) should be able to handle large files OK.

Edit. Be aware that the Enosoft DV Processor works in real time only so will take a long time to process large files.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. DVDate was exactly what I was looking for. You're such a great help, Safesurfer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I just wanted to update this thread for anyone who might be in a similar situation. I haven't found the exact solution to my problem but with the help of some great forumers here and elsewhere, I went ahead and downloaded WMM 2.6 and a powerful utility called MMStart (created by PatrickL) to allow versions 2.0 (Vista) and 2.6 to peacefully co-exist. Now I can work on my frame by frame clips accurately. Then convert these Type-1 DV-AVIs to Type 2 with DVDate (thanks to Safesurfer). Goal met.
    Quote Quote