VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i recorded a widescreen HD program on my dvr and am looking to put it on dvd. i captured the video through the s-video output of the dvr to my minidv camcorder. i ended up with black bars on the top and bottom. i then used windv to copy the file to my hard drive. i brought the footage into premiere to edit and crop, saved it as a 16:9 file and then used procoder to encode the video to burn to dvd. the picture was stretched since i removed 60 lines from the top and bottom when i cropped it. are my only options full screen where i have black borders all around or widescreen where the picture goes to the edges with black on the top and bottom?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. since dvd has to be encoded 720x480 anyway, you should have left the minidv footage at it's native 720x480 and encoded straight to mpeg-2 at that resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i'm a little confused. is the picture on the camcorder now 720x480 with 60 lines of black on the top and bottom (so the actual image is 720x360)? if i encode directly to mpeg2 with procoder at 16:9 AR, wouldn't i still get a letterboxed picture even though the original broadcast was widescreen without them? i'm looking to get back to something that looks like the original widescreen broadcast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i recorded a widescreen HD program on my dvr and am looking to put it on dvd. i captured the video through the s-video output of the dvr to my minidv camcorder. i ended up with black bars on the top and bottom.
    At this point did the pic looked squished (top to bottom)?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MysticE
    i recorded a widescreen HD program on my dvr and am looking to put it on dvd. i captured the video through the s-video output of the dvr to my minidv camcorder. i ended up with black bars on the top and bottom.
    At this point did the pic looked squished (top to bottom)?
    no, on the camcorder's lcd screen it looked normal with bars, not squished.
    Quote Quote  
  6. the video on the minidv tape is 720x480. if the cam recorded the widescreen source in 4:3 mode, then what you have is called 16/9 encoded as 4:3. to avoid the 2 separate encoding steps just leave the source and output settings as 4:3, encode to dvd and use your display device to properly fit the picture to the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  7. this looks like what i need to do:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic350766.html#1846471

just need to figure out if i can get my output to look like the second picture
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to marksk918, to get rid of the black bars, you have to physically zoom the 4:3 video you have up 133.33% as displayed in a 16:9 window, then re-encode it as 16:9 (16:9 flag set on the output file). When it's played back as is it will look like the second picture (horizontally squeezed); on WMP the 16:9 flag will hopefully get detected and display something like the 1st picture, as would a DVD player connected to a true 16:9 display. The one program I use for this is Premiere Pro, which also has options for slightly increasing sharpness (necessary when zooming any video). Note the two steps: zooming &/or cropping (removing the black bars & forcing the whole picture to 720x480), then setting its flag to 16:9 display.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by marksk918
    this looks like what i need to do:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic350766.html#1846471

just need to figure out if i can get my output to look like the second picture

that is DVavi recorded in widescreen mode. that's not what you said you had, but if you want to try it, then set your project source in procoder to DVavi wide. that will set the wide flag. i use vegas pro 8 and to set it as wide you right click on the source file and set the pixel aspect ratio to 1.2121 (NTSC DV widescreen), you need to consult the procoder manual for it's directions to set it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have already created a letterbox 4:3 DVD using your recorder, and you want to create a 16:9 version of that disc, the simplest method is DVD Rebuilder and it's advanced avisynth options. One of them is specifically to process a letterbox 4:3 disc into a 16:9 disc. It does a good, is simple to use, and save you having to pull everything apart and rebuilding it again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote