VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I first joined video help I was under a different name, since lost password, created new member account, then found my other user name, kidmegabit. The thread below was one where several members were trying to help me set up my new card with satellite.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic276786-30.html

Now though my setup has changed. I still have the Hauppauge card, but my tv now has cable instead of satellite. What is the easiest, and most simple way to set up my system now?

And my self built computer specs have changed as I'm running Vista Ultimate and XP. If you need my specs I can post them next time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. For analog cable channels you can run cable coax directly to the PVR-150. That will allow the internal tuner to tune all unprotected analog channels.

For protected content (HBO, Cinemax, etc) or digital channels you'll have to run s-video from the cable box to the PVR-150.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for not making this more indepth, but I need help connecting the card to my VCR/DVD so I can capture VHS tapes. I have an Emerson VCR/DVD player, this equipment has Composite for coneecting to computer card, or it has coaxil, which the card also has.

I don't care about capturing tv shows. I have some VHS, Home movies, I want to revert to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Run composite video (RCA connector, usually yellow) from the VCR output to the PVR-150:

I don't remember if the PVR-150 has a RCA or stereo pin-plug for audio. You'll need either this:

Or a regular RCA audio cable with the red and white connectors at both end. If the PVR-150 has the red and white RCA connectors you can use a single cable that has both video and audio:

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PVR 150 has stereo pin plug for audio. And where would I find both cables in more than 6 ft? My setup is about 8 foot from the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can get 10 to 15 foot cables from most places that sell them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196037

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882021058

You can get cables like this at any local electronics store of Radio Shack. Don't let them sell on you $100 Monster cables. For VHS at 10 to 15 feet you don't need expensive cables.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I saw that adapter at Radio Shack but when I asked about it they tried to sell me some other cables, that weren't long enough and were even the wrong type. I think I'll order them from newegg because I have my computer repair business listed with them and they don't charge me shipping. When I tried this setup before I had a y-splitter for the audio and it didn't look anything like that adapter, the audio wouldn't sync with the video either. But this adapter looks like it would work much better. Thanks so much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always keep a bunch of these around...

a few of these...

a bunch of these...

a bunch of these...

a bunch of these...

and a few of these...

I have a few high quality monster cables for my entertainment center but I bought a 15 foot set of A/V cables like monster cables at a dollar general store or something like that for about 10 bucks and they work fine when I need to go between rooms.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought RCA composite cables, and the adapter for the sound from Radio Shack (finally found a young girl who knew what I was looking for), that jagabo suggested.

Connected everything this morning.......no capture with my wintv software. Don't know what I did wrong or if the vcr/dvd player is played up. TV has nothing except Coaxil hookup.

Here's how the cables are connected. Coaxil to vcr/dvd.....coaxil to tv......cables to composite out to capture card with audio adapter to stereo port. Using WinTV or WinAVI neither will pick up tv or vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The PVR-150 can capture from the internal tuner (cable coax), the s-video port, or the composite video port. Make sure you have the right input selected in WinTV2000.

I wonder if your TV doesn't convert the cable coax input to it's composite output. Try attaching the VCR output directly to the PVR-150.

By the way, by using coax everywhere you are getting less picture quality. Use of composite or s-video will give you better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The TV has no other connectors, no av, no composite, no component, no S-Video, just coaxil.

I wonder if your TV doesn't convert the cable coax input to it's composite output. Try attaching the VCR output directly to the PVR-150.
    How wouild I do that? Do I not need the TV to capture from the VCR?

I have setup the winTV2000 for Cable, NTSC-443, and location USA.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by magicfingers
    How wouild I do that? Do I not need the TV to capture from the VCR?
    You can run the yellow, red, and white cables directly from the VCR to the PVR-150 (using your little pin-plug adapter). You don't need the TV in the loop to record. You can leave the coax between the VCR and TV so as not to disturb your current setup.

Originally Posted by magicfingers
    I have setup the winTV2000 for Cable, NTSC-443, and location USA.
    Is there a little green button between the channel up and down buttons? That cycles through the different inputs. Tuner, composite, s-video...

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First the vcr is connected to the PVR-150 via composite video with the audio adapter. The TV has no other connectors. It only has coaxil.

Having explained that, this means, that the TV is connected to the VCR via coaxil. What I explained above, is how the card should be reading from the VCR, but isn't. And my WinTV is the newest model, not like the one you have and there are no green buttons anywhere.

Quote Quote  
  14. I misunderstood what you said earlier: "Coaxil to vcr/dvd.....coaxil to tv......cables to composite out to capture card". I thought you meant the composite cable was going from the TV to the PVR (many TVs have a "monitor out" which allows you to record whatever you see on the TV, I thought you were using that). I guess you have the composite and audio cables going directly from the VCR to the PVR.

That version of WinTV has to have the composite input assigned to a channel number. I don't remember the exact procedure but you have to go to the channel manager and add a channel.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the composite cables are going from the VCR to the PVR. My own tv I had when I asked this question before, the one in the link above, had component, composite and S-Video connections on the back of it. This is an older tv that belongs to my nephew and doesn't have any of those connectors on the back.

Since the channel that I use to see VHS tapes is TV channel 3, is this the channel I need to add?
    Quote Quote  
  16. The composite port can be mapped to any unused channel in WinTV2000. I would use an otherwise unused channel number, like 1.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried, both 2 and 1, and nothing. I finally decided I need a newer Tv and will put this operatin off until I can afford to purchase a better TV and VCR/DVD player. I'm thinking maybe a different card too. This one never did work like it was supposed to do. Thanks for your help though, I appreciate all you did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    magicfingers
    You need to add composite by click on Menu button you want go to Suite Manager.

Select the Sources tab and highlight the Composite or S-video source.
    Select the rigth video format commonly used in Europe is Pal-BGHIDK or in the USA is NTSC-M, type a name for the channel and a description and click on Save and Close.

Selecting the composite or s-video channel in the channel list
    To select the Video Channel that you created right click with the mouse button on the TV window and select the channel list. You should see you the channel name you just created at the bottom of the channel list.
    Quote Quote