VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. has QAM in the tuner been confirmed?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Lack of QAM would be a definite deal breaker. Hopefully there is firm trusted confirmation coming.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just bought the 2160.

I also have an older Magnavox DVD/VCR recorder. Yikes, my new remote activates both units.

Is there any way to change the IRF on one of the remotes the same as Panasonic makes available on their remotes to make each one specific to one unit?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks. I suspected that. My other magnavox is so old I just turned it off.... it's a dvd/vcr and since I've long converted all my VCR tapes I don't need it.

Why do you say that in 2009 there wont be any more dvdr with dig tuners?

One more question anybody.

A lot of stuff I record I eventually load on my computer and author it to DVD. I"m a quality freak so I like to maintain a high bit rate in my authored DVDs. I noticed that if I record over an hour, when I dub it to DVD-RW the recorder automatically jumps down to the next lower bit rate... ie: form xp to sp for example. I want to split up long recordings to load dub them to my DVD-RW in the higher bit rate. How can I do that?

Especailly on New Years eve I want to record a 5 hour program and maintain the original broadcast quality spreading it over 5 DVDs after I author it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm well aware of the capacities of DVDs under various compression ratios. I have to constantly manipulate the bit rates when I author depending on how many episodes of a drama I want to put on one disc without significant loss of quality.

But I found the answer to my problem. I can record the 5 hour new years eve spectacular. Then when I want to dub to DVD-RW in HQ, all I have to do is use the title divide option in edit mode and make 5 1 hour titles. I experimented with it and indeed the system lets me dub in HQ when I split a 2 hour long segment into 2 1 hour titles. Obviously two separate dubbing sessions to 2 DVD-RWs. And they even dub at high speed which means that it will be a direct bit for bit copy rather than a quality loosing decode and recode dubbing.

It's funny that they are abandoning the HDD drives when I am just now for the first time buying a DVDR with a hard drive. For me it's very convenient since I record such long shows and need to maintain top quality.

As of now, I'm pretty enthused with this unit.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any idea if the 2080 gets rid of the false MV problem in many recorders? I ask because those units are easily available at Wal-Mart up here. The Philips are not available nor are the 2160s.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I lost the link to replacing the hdd on a Magnavox H2160. I did it once but it was to long ago to remember clearly. I know that it has to be a SATA drive and 500GB is the max size.. Anyone have it?
    NDirect06
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by NDirect06 View Post
    I lost the link to replacing the hdd on a Magnavox H2160. I did it once but it was to long ago to remember clearly. I know that it has to be a SATA drive and 500GB is the max size.. Anyone have it?
    The updated link is here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

Appreciated.
    I guess I had one other question

What format does Magnavox/Funai use for the HDD?

Can the removed HDD be read and played by a PC? I figured on placing it in a USB hdd enclosure'

Once again, Thanks
    NDirect06
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips/Maggy like basically all DVDRs use a proprietary file structure not readable on PCs. Some people have used a Unix type of reader to read parts of the HDD but it's usually very tedious and not like reading it on the DVDR that recorded it.
    Quote Quote