VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded a wmv file using "save target as" and when it had finished downloading, when the screen came up with the opportunity to click on Open, I opened it and it played OK.

Later I went to the desktop and double clicked on the icon for the file. I got a brief splash screen of the video, a momentary blue screen with writing I didn't get a chance to read and the computer shut down and re-started. The same thing happens if I right click on Open or Open with... I checked the properties and it said the file may be blocked as it came from another computer ...I clicked on Unblock...the only difference was when I right clicked the icon I got Play at the top of the list...however when I clicked on that the same old behaviour of freezing and shutting down and re-starting happened.

I tried another file from the same source and the same thing happened.

I am using XP Service pack 2, Intel core duo E6750, 300GB hard drive and 2 GB ram.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Run mediainfo (view=> text) or gspot on the .wmv file

Are you running anti-virus software and is the site you downloaded it from "reputable"?

Can you play other "kinds" of files, such as .avi or .mpg ?

Try using another player like Mplayer or VLC what happens?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I am running anti-virus software and other people have reported that the file runs without problems on their computer.
    I can play other .wmv files
    I can play .mpg files and most of my .avi files. On some .avi files (from son's friends camera) I can hear the audio but not see the video as "cannot find 'vids.mjpg' compressor".
    I ran mediainfo on the file but don't know what I am looking for. Will attempt to attach screenshot

Quote Quote