VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys!

Here's my situation. I am using a DVD Recorder to transfer a VHS to DVD.

The problem is that this VHS has a diamond-like noise pattern. Especially in red areas.

At first I thought it was normal electrical noise. I tried moving the VCR away from the other electronic devices, I also turned off all other electric items (air conditioner, etc). I'm using high-quality cables. But the problem still remains.

It's a commercial, never-before-used VHS. This problem doesn't happen with other commercial VHS tapes I use in the VCR. It has this pattern regardless of whether the DVD Recorder is attached.

Here's an example frame. I picked this frame because there's a red lens flare in this shot which makes the diamond pattern obvious.

Any way to fix this? Or is it just an unfixable problem with the tape itself?
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The NeatVideo noise filter for VirtualDub (and other video programs) may be able to remove that.

http://www.neatvideo.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

It did help a little. I just wonder how it happened in the first place!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bad leads / connection, try another input on the dvd recorder.

Use a avt 8710 in between
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Bad leads / connection, try another input on the dvd recorder.
    I originally thought that, too. But it has the pattern even if it's just playing normally on the VCR, without being connected to the recorder. And no other tapes I play have this pattern.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try/borrow another VCR just for that one tape.

Trying to remmber when I saw it, I know it was something that caused it, rather than it being inherent on the tape.

Whats the model of the VCR, have you tried the rca yellow outlet or does it only have that, or even the RF connection !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by phineasbg
    I just wonder how it happened in the first place!
    Here is some reading for you
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote