VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Dear All,

I have converted many NTSC DVDs to PAL VCD format with TMPGEnc Xpress 4 with default VCD PAL Conversion Template. But all videos are not in smooth motion playback, all are Jerky, Why this happens?
    Is there any other Transcoding Software to solve this Problem?
    Is there any advance setting in TMPGEnc Xpress 4?

Please help me.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It happens because the framerate is different. PAL is 25 fps, NTSC is 29.970 fps. In order to get from one to the other, extra frames are added, usualy by duplication. This leads to jerkiness.

If you author a DVD there are ways around it. You can use tricks with pulldown to get a better result. However these tricks do not apply with an antiquated system like VCD.

The only simple solution is to not convert, but get a player that plays both, or use NTSC source only.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It happens because TMPGEnc Express is crappy at frame rate conversion.

Most NTSC DVDs have the video saved as 23.976 fps (with pulldown flags that tell the DVD player how to make 59.94 fields per second from it). You can speed this up to 25 fps (you have to adjust the audio too) to make PAL VCD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks For Replies...
    I want make single DVD of multiple movies with both NTSC & PAL Video Files. I can't make this because of different framerates.
    Is there any other method/software to convert NTSC DVD to PAL MPEG without Jerks?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx jagabo... But I have already searched for it......all methods are very complex.
    Is there any all in one solution for framerate conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by milindb1
    Sure, but they do a poor job, as you have discovered.

Are your NTSC sources from film? Or are they interlaced video (like from a camcorder, or off air live sports event)?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by milindb1
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Sure, but they do a poor job, as you have discovered.

Yes, I am completely new to all this and am discovering how difficult these conversions are. It really surprises me that, with such an obvious need for it, there is not a good all-in-one method for doing it. I guess that there isn't one is indicative of how difficult it really is.

Not that I am going to, but if you throw enough money at it (i.e. buy some expensive software), is it not even possible to do it satisfactorily?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blutarsky
    Not that I am going to, but if you throw enough money at it (i.e. buy some expensive software), is it not even possible to do it satisfactorily?
    Yes, but not the sort of money you or I have available to us, and a lot of it is actually hardware, not software. And frankly, with the source that many people use, this type of equipment would be inappropriate anyway. It is aimed at professionals (read TV studios, film studios etc) who have quality source available to them, not someone converting VCD, which is pretty low on the quality scale.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx Jagabo for reply...
    My all NTSC sources are from films & not from Camcorders etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx guns1inger & blutarsky......Do you know which are those expensive softwares?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by milindb1
    I want make single DVD of multiple movies with both NTSC & PAL Video Files. I can't make this because of different framerates.
    Yes you can. I use GuiForDVDAuthor to make mixed DVDs -- including MPEG1, MPEG2, PAL, NTSC features -- all on the same disc. No need for framerate conversion.

This is non-standard, and you get a warning to that effect from GfD, but these play on the several DVD players I've tried (various brands, including notably Sony) without any problem (of course, the player and TV need to be capable of playing both PAL and NTSC).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx AlanHK......I will try GuiForDVDAUTHOR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually use a hybrid software-hardware setup, to facilitate quality conversions. It's not very complicated, though I don't have time to explain. There is a learning curve, as different types of sources require different sub-methods.

I never have jerky issues, at most there is time-to-time temporal ghosting/blurring, but that is generally minimized with my methods. Again, it really depends on the source in use.

Such a service is only suggested for rare home movies, it would be a waste of time/cost on something you can buy as a PAL DVD or a NTSC DVD.

The best advice is to simply leave as PAL, and play on a Chinese-made player, as most all of them play PAL too in the USA.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx all....

I think there not any proper all in one solution for NTSC to PAL conversion till today.

We have accept this fact.
    Quote Quote