VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_1 and love the new screen and the long file names but I noticed freeze ups and skips like I used to get with DVD backups on bad media and there was also pixelation on one spot and the audio would go out of sync close to the end of most of the files but clear back up after a few seconds.

Not sure if it was from the update or what. I used two different DVD-RWs that played fine before the update. How do I flash it back to original firmware if I can't get these problems straightened out?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,

Any hope that there is a good firmware or code to use to switch off macro etc on the 5990_37. For the moment I still have to use VCR to play standard DVDs thru. I will be changing that someday, but for now I still have to use my Philips 642 as it will allow play thru.

Will the DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_1 acomplish this or should I look else where?

Please help.
    Thanks to all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    I used DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_1 and love the new screen and the long file names but I noticed freeze ups and skips like I used to get with DVD backups on bad media and there was also pixelation on one spot and the audio would go out of sync close to the end of most of the files but clear back up after a few seconds.

Not sure if it was from the update or what. I used two different DVD-RWs that played fine before the update. How do I flash it back to original firmware if I can't get these problems straightened out?
    Just flash back to the original firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tripper_

How? That was my question. How do I flash it back to the original firmware? Where do I find this original firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tripper_

How? That was my question. How do I flash it back to the original firmware? Where do I find this original firmware?
    lol, Go to the manufactures website. It's really not that hard.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&slg=AEN&cat=DVD_HOME_THEAT...=Link_Software
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by IBOK_C
    Hey all,

Any hope that there is a good firmware or code to use to switch off macro etc on the 5990_37. For the moment I still have to use VCR to play standard DVDs thru. I will be changing that someday, but for now I still have to use my Philips 642 as it will allow play thru.

I think it's more a case of your VCR allowing the DVD player to "play through", not a function of the DVD player itself. Some VCRs are smart enough to allow the DVD player to play back, just as long as you don't hit the "record" version. There are other VCRs that are "dumb" and screw up the picture whether you're trying to record or not.

So, unless you've applied some sort of "VCR hack" to your 642 (didn't think there were any for Philips machines), then you should probably be fine with the 5990.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&s ... k_Software
    You don't have to be condescending. I searched for 2 hours last night before giving up. Thanks for the link.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&s ... k_Software
    You don't have to be condescending. I searched for 2 hours last night before giving up. Thanks for the link.
    Wow, 2 hours. Your Welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to all. I have DVDP5669/51 and I read dvp5996k_51_fur_eng.pdf and otherwise dvp5990_37_fur_aen.pdf. There is a list of supported players by firmware:

DVP5990/37
    DVP5992/37
    DVP5990K/55
    DVP5990K/75
    DVP5996K/51
    DVP5996K/94
    DVP5996K/96

May be I flash my DVP5996K/51 with firmware modified by vb6rocod???

5996 is a player for CIS (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus) with karaoke and Russian CP1251 menu coding (filenames in browser don't support Russian)

Is any way to integrate great vb6rocod improvements for 5990/37?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amckinney
    Originally Posted by IBOK_C
    Hey all,

I think it's more a case of your VCR allowing the DVD player to "play through", not a function of the DVD player itself. Some VCRs are smart enough to allow the DVD player to play back, just as long as you don't hit the "record" version. There are other VCRs that are "dumb" and screw up the picture whether you're trying to record or not.

So, unless you've applied some sort of "VCR hack" to your 642 (didn't think there were any for Philips machines), then you should probably be fine with the 5990.
    Thanks amckinney. Funny thing is that I can hook up thru my expensive SONY vcr and it scrambles even on play thru, but on the cheap $70 SONY model I picked up for $25 on clearance at Wal-mart it plays great.

LOL, so I paid more for dumb & less for smart? go figure!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="IBOK_C"]
    Originally Posted by amckinney

Thanks amckinney. Funny thing is that I can hook up thru my expensive SONY vcr and it scrambles even on play thru, but on the cheap $70 SONY model I picked up for $25 on clearance at Wal-mart it plays great.

LOL, so I paid more for dumb & less for smart? go figure!
    Well, more than likely, your "expensive" Sony was made by Sony and the cheap one was probably outsourced to Funai and simply had the Sony "badge" applied (I know Sony typically outsourced a lot of their cheaper VCRs). I still have one of the "expensive" Sony 4-head machines (a Smartfile M-91, if I recall), a very well-made piece of machinery, and a wicked-fast rewind mechanism...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear vb6rocod.
    Uploaded DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_PAL_default.rar. TV type is not activated (using HDMI). Is this normal?
    Uploaded DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar. Haven't check Russian subtitles, but filenames on DVD with russian cyrillik are unreadable. Something is wrong?
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  13. For DVP5996K/51.

Suport chirilic only for subtitles, not for files (filebrowser).
    DVP5996K_51_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/154903307/DVP5996K_51_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vb6rocod
    For DVP5996K/51.

Dear Vb6rocod, thank you for respond.

Does it mean that I should upload DVP5996K_51_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar firmware on my DVP5990_37 Nord-American machine?

Should TV-type option (NTSC/PAL) work on HDMI output?

All the best for you
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by alexalexalex
    Originally Posted by vb6rocod
    For DVP5996K/51.

Dear Vb6rocod, thank you for respond.

Does it mean that I should upload DVP5996K_51_vb6_v1_2_1_1251.rar firmware on my DVP5990_37 Nord-American machine?

Should TV-type option (NTSC/PAL) work on HDMI output?

All the best for you
    If you have 5990_37 use firmware for 5990_37 (logic)...see version for 1251 (Cyrillic for avi subtitles).
    If you use HDMI doesn't matter NTSC or PAL (this option is also disable in setup).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    could you make firmware for dvp5990/37 1250 central europe.please i cant write more because my english is too bad.thank you.adam
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    could you make firmware for dvp5990/37 1250 central europe?please.i have problem with polish fonts. i cant write more because my english is too bad.thank you.adam
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by adam puma
    could you make firmware for dvp5990/37 1250 central europe?please.i have problem with polish fonts. i cant write more because my english is too bad.thank you.adam
    Try this:
    DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_1250
    http://rapidshare.com/files/155019763/DVP5990_37_vb6_v1_2_1_1250.rar.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vb6rocod,

I really like the firmware (much better than stock), but could you update it? I need it to play Blu-ray, have unlimited character filename support, run Grand Theft Auto 4, and decrypt and play DRM protected files.

I'm having some people over, so I'll need it by 7pm (about 4.5 hours from now).

You're welcome.

/yes, I'm joking.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    vb6rocod,

I really like the firmware (much better than stock), but could you update it? I need it to play Blu-ray, have unlimited character filename support, run Grand Theft Auto 4, and decrypt and play DRM protected files.

I'm having some people over, so I'll need it by 7pm (about 4.5 hours from now).

You're welcome.

OH $hit, too funny. But the GTA 4 would be nice. Thanks

/yes, I'm joking.
    [/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vb6rocod!
    Any progress on unicode support for FAT?
    I may be wrong, but seems like New Age found way to do this for MD81290. I am looking into his modifications, but bacause of lack of experience in hacking Mediatek code, my progress is not that great.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    big thx Vb6rocod everything works great.you are the best.adam
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading the entries I decided to flash the firmware to see what all the fuss was about. What a big improvement over factory! Just wanted to say thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi vb6,

Just curious, and please forgive me for being a n00b, is it even possible to make this player support DVD+R DL playback via hacked firmware? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had no problem playing DVD+R DL (Verbatim) with the original firmware, and the hacked is no different (in playing).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for the firmware, it rocks! I used one for codepage 1251.

One thing which came out was that in order to see russian subtitles you have to select "Subtitle Language=Polish" from Preferences Setup screen.

There was no "Russian", but Polish setting worked.

Original default setting is to "English", and it would not show cyrillic subtitles, only garbage chars.

Hope this helps others.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I had no problem playing DVD+R DL (Verbatim) with the original firmware, and the hacked is no different (in playing).
    Well, I've had problem playing DVD+R DL from both GQ and Philips. They all have this nasty 10 second pauses all over the 2nd half of the playback.
    Also, I've checked the manual as well as a few other resources, none of which says this unit support DL playback. Kind of hope maybe vb6 can add better support to DL playback. Welp :P
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PixelaseR

Kind of hope maybe vb6 can add better support to DL playback. Welp :P
    Thats not going to happen.

It's either the media or burner your using. Verbatim is the only DVD+R DL thats really any good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few DVD players, and have bought quite a few over the year, but I have never seen the manual or box specifically show support for DVD-DL. I believe the DVD spec accounts for DL, so it may be redundant to list it. I burn DL regularly (both + and -) and they all work flawlessly in the 5990/37 (I have 2 of them).
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, just updated my 5990/37 firmware with the 1_2 and its not extending my filenames to 40 char, only getting 25. loaded it onto a flash and started up player and it said it updated? any ideas?
    Quote Quote