VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 32
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. OOooOOO so this is actually an improvement then! Even sweeter!

VB, something I noticed. the 5990 has slowdown playback to 1/16th speeds, but no actual frame by frame advancement. Has anyone uncovered a hidden frame advancement feature, or is it buried in there somewhere?

I was just looking at video quality on my standalone vs my pc playback, and had no idea there wasn't a frame by frame advancement on the 5990 till now.
    Gary Tabar Jr.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Posted: Jan 07, 2009 17:21
    Originally Posted by vb6rocod
    Update 5990_37

* New "logo" - "CD Logo"
    * Remove partial UOP (user operation prohibition) - I have confirmation on this
    DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar

Note:Base version is v2_3_1. With and without volume on repeat keys
    ---
    NEWEST VERSION ("vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP" ) FIRMWARE FOR PHILIPS DVP5990_37 DVD PLAYER SEEMS OK.

PRELIMINARY TESTS: *ALL* Seems OK - Tests Are Described In The Details Below - The Original Base Version (vb6_v2_3_1) Was More Fully Tested As Described Earlier.

DETAILS:
    After Installing The NEWEST VERSION FIRMWARE (Version "vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP" [*Without* "Volume" On The RC "Repeat" Keys]) From The Newly Available "DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar" File To Our Philips DVP5990_37 Player And After Performing The Usual "Default Reset" And "Setup Configuration Procedures" (Involving "Component Video," "Progressive Scan Mode," "Digital Coaxial Audio") For Our Present AV System ("Sony KDL-52W3000 TV" & "Yamaha HTR-5790 AV Receiver" & "Philips DVP5990_37 DVD Player"), DVD+R Discs (Verbatim) With MP3 Files And Similar DVD+R Discs With AVI Files As Well As Similar DVD+R Discs With PAL MOVIES All Seem To Be Well Recognized By The Philips DVP5990_37 DVD Player And All DVD+R Discs Seem To Play Very, Very Well In The Player. Usual NTSC Video Discs As Well As CD-R Discs (With 5.1 Audio) Play Very, Very Well Also.

THANKS vb6rocod For The Newest FirmWare Improvements!

NOTE: These Preliminary Tests Are Similar To Our Earlier Ones Regarding The Original Base Version "vb6_v2_3_1" (With Original Starburst-Logo And No Partial UOP Removal) (Posted "Dec 28, 2008 15:59") And The Older Version "vb6_v_2_2" (Posted "Dec 23, 2008 12:56") And The Older Version "vb6_v2" (Posted "Nov 25, 2008 17:06").

---
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear vb6rocod,

Please, one more time for stupid (I can't find clear direction) HOW TO "reset your player to default settings".

Thanks, appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gosh, must be really hard to find Setup > Preference > Default reset.
    Techflaws.org
    Things Can Only Get Better

Philips DVP3260/5990 FAQ
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alexalexalex
    Dear vb6rocod,

Please, one more time for stupid (I can't find clear direction) HOW TO "reset your player to default settings".

Thanks, appreciate it.
    It's the last option on Page 2, of Setup/Preferences.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you have to do a default reset after updating? I see the new logo fine, and just assumed everything else was working properly as well then.
    Gary Tabar Jr.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gareee
    Do you have to do a default reset after updating? I see the new logo fine, and just assumed everything else was working properly as well then.
    Yes, it's recommended you do a default reset both before and after flashing.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hmm never did it before flashing either, and I've never noticed any issues. Maybe it's more precautionary then anything else?

I'll reset my default settings though after updating, and then reset my preferences as well though.
    Gary Tabar Jr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made a new File Browser and included the DivX logo using vb6rocod's most up to date firmware.

http://rapidshare.de/files/41308507/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP.rar.html

Edit: Link changed to new version.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Can you post an image of that with file names listed?

I';d also like to see the pay and play popup icons replace with ones not as intense as well, since they are so bight they also cause minor burn in.
    Gary Tabar Jr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, sorry. I only changed the two mpeg2 files, File Browser and Logo, everything else remains the same.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I definitely like the "less bright" versions
    Quote Quote  
  13. wonder if the "play" and "pause" icons are had coded, or editable as well? If they are editable, I can easily dim them down some as well, so long as VB would want to build that into his firmware.
    Gary Tabar Jr.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by philips599037
    I made a new File Browser and included the DivX logo using vb6rocod's most up to date firmware.

http://rapidshare.de/files/41304225/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP.rar.html
    Caveat?

Don't Know If This Is Important But The Recent Update File "DVP5990_37.bin," From DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP .rar, Seems To Be "2042 kb," Somewhat LESS Than Usual (via WinXP/Explore/View-Details) - Seems *ALL* Of VB's "DVP5990_37.bin" Files For *ALL* Available VB Versions, Including The Most Recent Version From DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar (And, As Well, From The Original Manufacturer/Philips Version 31 FirmWare DownLoad), Are "2044 kb" Instead?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by u4s
    Originally Posted by philips599037

http://rapidshare.de/files/41304225/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP.rar.html
    Caveat?

Don't Know If This Is Important But The Recent Update File "DVP5990_37.bin," From DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP .rar, Seems To Be "2042 kb," Somewhat LESS Than Usual (via WinXP/Explore/View-Details) - Seems *ALL* Of VB's "DVP5990_37.bin" Files For *ALL* Available VB Versions, Including The Most Recent Version From DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar (And, As Well, From The Original Manufacturer/Philips Version 31 FirmWare DownLoad), Is "2044 kb" Instead?
    When I saved the two bin files the "Best" compression was the Winrar setting. I can see now that vb6rocod used the "Fastest" compression setting when he saved his .bin files. When each of those .bin files are extracted from the downloaded .rar file they are 1.99mb uncompressed, which is the same size as any of the modded firmware .bin files.

I don't think it makes a difference how the files were compressed, when they are uncompressed they're the same size in the end. If it does make a difference, I will gladly change the compression setting and make another link using the "Fastest" compression setting instead of the "Best."
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by philips599037
    Originally Posted by u4s

Caveat?

Don't Know If This Is Important But The Recent Update File "DVP5990_37.bin," From DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP .rar, Seems To Be "2042 kb," Somewhat LESS Than Usual (via WinXP/Explore/View-Details) - Seems *ALL* Of VB's "DVP5990_37.bin" Files For *ALL* Available VB Versions, Including The Most Recent Version From DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_CD_Logo_UOP.rar (And, As Well, From The Original Manufacturer/Philips Version 31 FirmWare DownLoad), Is "2044 kb" Instead?
    When I saved the two bin files the "Best" compression was the Winrar setting. I can see now that vb6rocod used the "Fastest" compression setting when he saved his .bin files. When each of those .bin files are extracted from the downloaded .rar file they are 1.99mb uncompressed, which is the same size as any of the modded firmware .bin files.

I don't think it makes a difference how the files were compressed, when they are uncompressed they're the same size in the end. If it does make a difference, I will gladly change the compression setting and make another link using the "Fastest" compression setting instead of the "Best."
    Our Noted Sizes For The "DVP5990_37.bin" Files Are Uncompressed Sizes As Far As We Know. Seems Curious That There Seems To Be 2 kb Uncompressed Size LESS In The Newer FirmWare File Than All Others. We Have Little Experience With This - All May Be Completely OK Of Course And The Difference May Be Of No Importance Whatsoever - Maybe Someone With More Experience Can Comment?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can assure everyone that the downloaded version of the file I linked here was tested and works perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I think the concern was bricking a player by someone with possibly malicious intent.
    Gary Tabar Jr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gareee
    I think the concern was bricking a player by someone with possibly malicious intent.
    Not from me, I went to a lot of trouble to modify that already existing File Browser used for the DVP5960/37 from phunkyfish to fit with vb6rocod's firmware. I like having a choice between the two File Browser versions and thought I'd share.

http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by u4s
    Seems Curious That There Seems To Be 2 kb Uncompressed Size LESS In The Newer FirmWare File Than All Others. We Have Little Experience With This - All May Be Completely OK Of Course And The Difference May Be Of No Importance Whatsoever - Maybe Someone With More Experience Can Comment?
    Found out why....I had a problem with the version of MTKReMaker I was using relating to the check sums. Both files are 2,044KB now, the same size as all the other versions. Not sure what difference it makes because both versions were upgraded and tested by me on my two 5990/37's without any problems.

Here's the new link....

http://rapidshare.de/files/41308507/DVP5990_37_vb6_v2_3_1_DivX_Logo_V2File_Browser_UOP.rar.html

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Quote Quote  
  21. BIG attention when you make change in firmware. This firmware is with "extrablock" and have 2 check-sum.
    Read how to deal with this:
    http://vb6rocod.blogspot.com/2009/01/extrablock-and-mtk-tools.html
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your playing around with the firmware you really need to build a serial cable. Backup your firmware first.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great firmware thanks to all involved, it is excellent!!!

I want to buy a 1tb western digital black hdd and a external powered case and hook up to my usb. I have heard they have a utility to format the entire drive to fat 32. Has anyone done something similar and what advice or help would you suggest?

My player is the 5990/37 just bought thru newegg. I'm converting my dvds to divx format and i have noticed that the fast reverse button(2x,4x,....) seems to freeze up when playing a movie from a usb stick. The fast forward seems to work fine. No big deal because i can double hit the title button to use the go to feature.

I use the Fairuse wizard 2 to convert my dvds to divx. What other formats or programs would you suggest for a good balance between size and quality. I am shrinking my dvds to 1.5 gigs and the quality seems pretty good. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this version will show Russian chars in the file browser?

Originally Posted by u4s
    Seems Curious That There Seems To Be 2 kb Uncompressed Size LESS In The Newer FirmWare File Than All Others. We Have Little Experience With This - All May Be Completely OK Of Course And The Difference May Be Of No Importance Whatsoever - Maybe Someone With More Experience Can Comment?
    Found out why....I had a problem with the version of MTKReMaker I was using relating to the check sums. Both files are 2,044KB now, the same size as all the other versions. Not sure what difference it makes because both versions were upgraded and tested by me on my two 5990/37's without any problems.

Here's the new link....

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lepa71
    No, the CP is 1252 (America + West European). Not sure what CP supports Russian. Maybe vb6rocod can help you with it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @vb6rocod

Can you tell me what do I need to do to make philips599037's firmware with CP1251?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by philips599037
    Originally Posted by lepa71
    No, the CP is 1252 (America + West European). Not sure what CP supports Russian. Maybe vb6rocod can help you with it.
    YES, I make a version for Russian.... (CP 1251)
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675-300.html#1922218
    OR
    http://vb6rocod.blogspot.com/2008/12/philips-dvp599037.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vb6rocod....quick question about your dvp3962/37 firmware.

I opened it in UltraEdit and changed the last byte to 00. Opened in MTKRemaker and changed the logo without problem. Opened the File Browser and tried to change and got this error message..

"Replacing File Is Too Big. Can't overwrite data after checksum."

Why is this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried this today on my DVP5992/37 and it works great.

Thanks vb6rocod!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Vb6,
    Hopefully not too crazy of requests but I'll give it a try

1. It seems the default upconversion is fixed at Auto everytime I turn on the player ( I can manually change it to other resolution but it goes back to Auto once its turned off). Is there any way to permanently set the resolution option. My tv is a 720p so I would like to upconvert everyting to 720p, not 1080i or something else.

2. Subtitle font seems weird and hard to read when I play DVD movies through USB in HDD.

thanks a million.
    Quote Quote