VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I am trying to burn a dual layer AVCHD disc. I have made many coasters trying to burn using Nero and the Total Media Extreme software that came with the Hauppauge HD PVR.

After many tries, the best bet seemed to be authoring to the hard drive with Total Media Extreme and then burning to the dual layer disc with ImgBurn. I burn the disc ok and begin to verify, the 1st layer verifys ok, but I can't verify anything on the 2nd layer. I put the disc into my PS3, and it plays fine until half way through (when the 2nd layer kicks in).

Before, I couldn't burn anything on the DL disc uisng my external NEC drive until I updated to the latest firmware. I used to get "could not perform start of disc-at-once", updated the firmware and got a "could not perform end of disc-at-once" message.

Now everything seems to burn ok but the 2nd layer is the issue. I admit, the discs are not of the highest standard and that is probably the most likely cause but just wanted to try anything I could before sending them back possibly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update:
    Destination Device: [0:0:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG 2.R8 (I (USB)
    Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67) (Speeds: 2.4x)

This is where I got my firmware (I'm using the top one) http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3500A/

Update 2: Ok, I just changed the firmware to 2.TF, and the DVD stutters at the layer break and continues and then pauses and plays a couple of times and stops altogther, so the 2nd layer performs a little better, but not perfect yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We recommend burning ONLY with ImgBurn (it's free) and using ONLY Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for DL media. And buy the Made In Singapore Verbatims if you possibly can - the Made In India ones do not seem to be as reliable. When people use brands other than Verbatim and burn with anything but ImgBurn, they post here asking why their burns fail.

Ricoh is very bad media. You wasted your money on those. Any "savings" you got by buying them instead of Verbatim are gone when you have to throw your burns in the trash can.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatley, the Verbatim discs are 10 times more expensive so that's out the window.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're not willing to pay for the Verbatims, don't expect to solve your problem. Jman98 was not stating a personal opinion; it's a matter of consistent experience among many, many people. Time and again, the method he described has been only thing that's worked universally for those burning dual layer discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did the DL disc's that you're using cost you 13 cents each? That's cheap even for single layer DVD's. If you look at the link below you can get Verbatim Brand DL DVD's for about $1.30/ea if you buy the 20 pack listed. Another possilble problem might be with the NEC 3500 that you're using. I also have a 3500 (currently collecting dust in my closet) and remember it was one of the first NEC drives that could record to DL media. Also it looks like the most recent firmware officially released for that drive from NEC was in 2005. Looking at these these two factors it's a good chance that the NEC doesn't directly support the specific media code of the disc that your trying to use. Secondly since the 3500 was one of the first DL burn capable drives that NEC made it's a good chance that that drive may not work as well burning DL media as a more current drive. Also the NEC is getting older and probably isn't 100% anymore. One more thing to note is when burning DL media I never burn above 4x speed even if my drive says it can burn to my media at 8x or higher. I find that using this rule I usually get more reliable burns.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130008
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the reply KTH. Well, I was just working with the external burner I usually have. I also have a blu-ray burner built into my laptop that I might try tomorrow. It's a Matshita and I don't know where I could get a firmware update. I always burn DL at 2.4x (it's usually the only option).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is your project worth to you? To this point, you have wasted time as well as money using cheap media and (possibly) an outdated burner which may not be up to the task. Please pay attention to and heed the good advice that's been given and buy the dual-layer Verbatim DVD+Rs and nothing else, regardless of claims or promises made by other brands. The +R DLs made in Singapore are available from many outlets; I most recently bought mine from MegaMediaMall.com for $1.29 per disc and received them in three days. Rima.com, Newegg.com, Supermediastore.com, and Meritline.com all have frequent specials and if you are close to a Best buy, they put the Verbatim DLs on sale about every five weeks. Stay with Imgburn and if you need to upgrade your burner, check out Newegg for starters; they usually offer the best price and have unbeatable customer service.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the advice. It's more of a personal interest. I just wanted to persue all avenues before deciding what to do. If purchasing the Verbatim discs is worth the money, I will. Otherwise Ill try and scale the videos down for a single layer disc.
    Quote Quote