VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried a number of programs, but they all create low resolution slide shows.

I have a 1920x1080 TV and a Sony DVD player which upresses to 1080i, and it easy enough to crop the JPEG photos to that size and watch them on my system in HD. However I want to be able to give the DVD's to friends so they too can watch in HD on their TV/DVD combination, which may be different to mine.

Thanx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to use a HD DVD/Blur Ray authoring tool and output for burning to HD or BluRay (depending on the target player) on DVD. Most slideshow tools are still aimed at the DVD market, and will therefore output SD DVD resolutions.

However, if your friends only have standard DVD players you will have to create standard DVDs, as HD material will not play on a standard DVD player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Proshow is great for what you're after, puts other 'photo to dvd' software to shame in terms of features and output. Lets you output to HD videos (480p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) in various formats such as mpeg2, vc1, mp4, h.264, quicktime etc.

Proshow gives you total control of the timeline such as individual slide duration, effects, zoom and pan, resize, color enhancements, rotation, transparency, captions and so on. The level of customisation of individual slide is superb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, remember that it doesn't matter if you output your slideshow at 1080i/p, your Sony upscaling DVD player is still just a DVD player, and cannot playback 1080i material. It only plays standard DVDs, which means 720 x 480. Standalone DVD players will often playback raw jpg files (i.e. not authored) of much higher resolutions, which will probably look better on your HDTV than photos converted to a DVD slideshow. I would just give them a disc of photos instead.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, DVDs (PAL) have a resolution of 720x576 will look rubbish when unscaled to 1920x1080. Nothing you can do about it.

Look at a Bluray player or HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help everyone!

Looks like I am stuck until Bluray becomes more affordable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or stream higher quality if you have PS3 or Xbox 360
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote