VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I formatted an external HDD from NTFS to fat32 so I can use it on the ps3, but the files I'm trying to transfer to the HDD are bigger then 4gb, so windows won't let me transfer. How do I go about this ?

EDIT: Ok I just did a quick google and it seems like 4gb is the barrier of fat32, they're saying the only way is to put it on NTFS, but PS3 doesn't recgonize the NTFS format to even see the hard drive so..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Video files can be split into two or more playable parts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Chop your files up into 4GB max segments, or recompress to smaller bitrates/filesizes.

No need to beat around the bush or try to think up alternatives or make excuses...
    There are NO 2 ways about it. FAT32 doesn't allow greater than 4GB files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Chop your files up into 4GB max segments, or recompress to smaller bitrates/filesizes.

No need to beat around the bush or try to think up alternatives or make excuses...
    There are NO 2 ways about it. FAT32 doesn't allow greater than 4GB files.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I guess splitting the file is the only way to go for now then.
    Quote Quote  
  6. NTFS is microsoft property...Not really likely that Sony would want to license it even if Msoft allowed it. There are far better file systems especially on linix, I was hoping for something from Msoft Vista, but no, dinosaurs rule
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can put films/files larger than 4GB on the ps3, all u have to do is transfur them usin network file sharing from ur pc to ur ps3 via wireless or ethernet, and instead of streamin just goto copy on the ps3 options
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reading this topic made me think of ExFat again so I just downloaded the version from Microsoft applicable to XP Sp3. I haven't tried re-formating any of my Fat32 drives yet but I was wondering if ExFat was usable on the PS3 or the DVP 5990. ExFat will overcome the 4gb restriction, but does it work on the PS3?

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    exfat doesnt work on ps3
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i used mkvtovob which is free... it turns your mkv to 4gb into 2 parts... it doesnt reduce quality... if u have an external harddrive... go to the disk management and shrink another partion but not larger then 190gb i hear anyways... then make it ntfs... download guiformat and convert to fat32 ... pretty simple...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only way of accommodating files in excess of 4 gig is to

1: Buy the largest 2.5" sata drive you can get.
    2: Use the ps3's internal utility to format the new drive.
    3: Use the ps3's internal web interface to transfer those files from pc to the new drive.

Would be nice if there was a hot swap cable option so that the ps3's drive could be simply swapped in and out
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    U talking about using tversity?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    When you try to format a drive that is larger than 32 GB, Windows XP and Vista will force you to use the NTFS format, even though it can read and write FAT32 drives of any size. The FAT32 option will not show up under "File system" in the "Format Local Drive" dialog.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe using only the "Disk Management" or Explorer/"Format" tool, but that's why there are 3rd party tools out there...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. I had the same problem trying to play MKV files that i had downloaded, if these are what you are trying to play the PS3 wont recognise the file format so you can't stream through Window media player. I use MKV2VOB a free program to solve this problem it easy to use just run the file through mkv2vob and it splits the files for you but you dont have to watch them in 2 parts. Then either stream through to PS3 or if you dont want to take up all the space on your PS3 HDD, When useing MKV2VOB select your external HDD as the destination folder and select to option to split file for FAT32 external HDD. Dont forget to select always transcode DTS in MKV2VOB unless youhave a DTS sound system or you will get no sound.
    Quote Quote