VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    Here's my issue:
    - I recorded a movie in .trp format from my sattelite PVR receiver.
    - I extracted the closed caption from the file with CCextractor in .srt format to have it as a sync reference for my other subtitle that I want to add.
    - The extracted CC file in .srt format is perfectly syncronized with the video when I play it with BSplayer.
    - Now I try different ways to have my other subtitle syncronized and every time I think "it's gotta be good....it fails royaly. Why ? Only God knows
    - So what do I do to try syncronize them:
    Option 1 - I read the exact start time on a first line of the extracted CC and adjust the time of the desired subtitle so I have an exact match on that first line (offcourse, when I adjust the times on the desired subtitle, I do the adjusting on all the lines times, as a block). I do the time adjustment with "Subtitle Workshop" with its "time adjust" function.
    Option 2 - I load the desired subtitle in "Subtitle Creator" and use it's sync function using the extracted CC as the reference syncronized subtitle. When I've noticed that the output is tottaly out of sync....I even tried pairing lines in 20 lines steps (one in 20 lines sync'd with the reference).
    Both options give an out of sync result.
    Please reply to this with any idea you might have, because it's driving me crazy. Any idea might help.
    Thanks a lot guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly is "out of sync"?

The time shown on a CC line is when the CC is supposed to start loading into the CC display buffer. It actual doesn't display until it receives a {EOC}{EOC} control character, which will be the last part of the CC line. It can take quite a bit of time for a caption to fully load - most over a second, some over three seconds.

But the good news, is that that time can easily be calculated. Go to McPoodle's web site (he's a member here) and get his SCCTOOLS package and read up on the timing of CCs. He has a tool that will let you adjust the timing from when it should display to the proper when it should start loading time, but I don't think that it will go the other way. I believe that he has a CC to SUBTITLE converter that will give you the correct timing that you need, since a subtitle's time refers to when it should be displayed.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your fast reply.
    I'm extracting the CC from the TRP file with CCextractor directly converted in .srt format (http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=190832).
    Then I am dealing with this file like with any other subtitle in srt format.
    When I play the video and load the CC (in srt format).....it is perfectly syncronized.
    The srt files have a time code for each line so I presumed that if I allign the first line of my desired subtitle with the first line of the extracted CC (in srt format).....it should work. But it doesn't.
    When I play the video and load my subtitle, it looks sync at the very beggining and goes out of reach in no time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you Fast forwarding or scrubbing forward in any way to test synch? I have found in workshop and many other progs that doing so often indicates an out of synch condition when this is not actually true. Allowing the file to play normally or authoring into VOBs (which then allows FF and scrubbing) demonstrates proper synch.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, I do fast forward, but when I do this with the loaded CC (in srt format)....it's alll good.
    I matched each one in 10 lines and still....between those lines it gets like 2 seconds out of sync !
    It's like a curse
    Quote Quote