VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I've been very pleased with my Philips DVP 5960, it has always played everything flawlessly.

However, I have been experiencing some freezing with these certain xvids I burned. I used verbatim media and sony, both on slow burn speeds. I also tried my usb drive, and I get the same result.

The picture will freeze and the audio continues in the background. After about 15 - 20 seconds a new image will come on the screen and freeze, and the audio still continues.

I tried to use AVI Mux, didn't seem to do much. I messed around with vdub a bit, too. It said that the AVI had VBR audio on it. Which of course is not standard but I don't know if that is the cause of all this or how to fix it.

Any suggestions would be fantastic!

-Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can change VBR to CBR audio with

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic314909.html

Use the AVI_GAIN_REGULAR batch file and it will process all of your AVI files automatically.

However, the freezing stuff you're seeing is usually due to bad media. Since you've tried several brands, the only thing else I can think of is perhaps there's a bitrate spike in the file's video encoding, causing the player to mess up the video but not the audio. You'd have to verify this by burning the same AVI onto 2 separate CDs or DVDs and seeing if the stuttering occurs at the same point in the file during playback. If I'm not mistaken, there's also a button you can press on the remote to reset during play. Unfortunately, I don't recall what that is.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Could be Xvid 3 warp point GMC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you please elaborate more on the xvid 3 / gmc ... or how to fix it?

I used that tool to convert the VBR to CBR, but the result is the same. I'm positive its no the media, I've burned dozens of xvid discs on the same type- plus the playback is the same even via USB.

It's not really skipping or jittery it will play for ten seconds then just freeze frame and the audio will continue. I'd really like to fix this to watch them on the big screen instead of my computer monitor.

Here is a screen from Gspot:

Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you want help, FIX YOUR LINK!!!

Your link goes to the main Image Shack web page, NOT to your picture above. Many of us have eyes too old to read print that small, so fix the link so we can see it in larger size.

The only way to fix GMC is to encode without it. It cannot be removed except by re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about the link- but I have resolved the problem. All I did was use Mpeg4Modifier and "Unpacked" the avi files then resaved them. Now they play perfectly!! (Only thing I don't understand is that I've played many many files that were packed before. Ah well 8)
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's hard to say for sure but it looks like you have 3 consecutive B frames. That is why it won't play with packed bitstream. 1 or 2 is ok.
    Quote Quote