VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ask and you shall receive. The veteran philips firmware hacker, vb6rocod, has released his first UNTESTED firmware for the Philips DVP-5990. This is only for European Players

USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!.

Changelog v0.1

Change: Title screen, menu and filebrowser skins
    Change: OSD fonts and graphics
    Change: Filebrowser with scrollbars, outlined font and new icons
    Change: Small jpeg preview at bottom of file list
    Change: 3 Mp3 TAG in filebrowser (TAG limit at 14 chars)
    Change: Move volume from bottom to a higher position.
    Change: Patch subtitle area and subtitle window
    Change: Patch subtitle color scheme (use normal fonts)

Feature: 40 character limit for File List
    Feature: 44 character limit for Directory List
    Feature: Patched title button to add the GOTO function
    Feature: 4 fonts for subtitle (Standard, Small, Medium and Large)
    Feature: Replaced VOD menu with DVD Quick Play. Two options "With menu" and "Without menu".

Fix: Kbps bug
    Fix: 1 sec. .srt bug

DVP5990_12_vb6_v1_1250_1252.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/138496999/DVP5990_12_vb6_v1_1250_1252.rar.html[/i]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't work with North American version.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for testing it. Edited the first post
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to get this working with a serial cable. I had to modify vb6rocod files in order for hdmi and audio to work. If anyone needs help let me know. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR FIRMWARE FIRST.

I really like the new look and long filenames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is great! however i need to wait until i receive my replacement for the player i bricked with a failed update so im kinda scared to upgrade...but how hard could it be, right?

a few questions:

- serial cable ? i didnt know it even had a serial connection? or did you open the box? if so, you're brave!
    - i take it this is only needed for the us players, i could upgrade my 5990/12 normally?
    - there are 2 files in the zip (1250/1252), which one should i use ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I had to open up the box and used 1252. My player was 5990/37 although after I flashed it now shows 5990/12. It's my understanding the hacked software is made for the 5990/12 but it still could cause you to brick your player. The link below shows a serial interface. The one I built is a lot simpler.

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/mediatek/programs/mtkdump.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    interesting....is it possible to bring the player back to life using the serial method after a failed update ?

some more questions:

- you used the 1252, but how do i know which one i should use ?
    - bricking your player is most likely with interrupting the upgrade i think ? i mean if the update gets done 100%, then the worst that can happen is experiencing some weird behaviour..or not ?
    - is it possible to flash an official firmware after flashing this modded one ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, usually the serial interface is the only way to fix a failed update. If you backup your firmware first you should be able to restore it to it's original state if you run into problems.

Here is a link to show you the process.

http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dv575.php?player=DV-575A&question=Dead_Player
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok cool. i think i might get started on that serial stuff then...always good to have a backup.

and:

- how do i know which one to use 1250/1252 ?
    - instead of flashing my backupped firmware...i could also use an official philips one, right ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by toolman2k8
    - how do i know which one to use 1250/1252 ?
    My version is different than yours so I'm not sure. But it really doesn't matter. Try both it only takes a couple of minutes to flash and find out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok great. did u make the cable yourself from scratch, used an existing(phone) one or buy one ?

buying a mobile phone cable and adjusting it seems more easy to me im not that a-technical, but i prefer easy solutions if possible.

if you used a mobile phone cable,which brand/version ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    - instead of flashing my backupped firmware...i could also use an official philips one, right ?
    This is when I needed my backup. When you flash using serial it erases the chip first. There is some additional information concerning HDCP, that I think is unique to each player, which was deleted during the flash. Basically, the HDMI stoped working. There is a easy work around I needed for my version that you shouldn't need. What I would do is make a serial interface to backup your firmware. Then flash the normal way (cd/usb). If it fails use your backup by way of serial.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok great. did u make the cable yourself from scratch, used an existing(phone) one or buy one ?

buying a mobile phone cable and adjusting it seems more easy to me im not that a-technical, but i prefer easy solutions if possible.

if you used a mobile phone cable,which brand/version ?
    A mobile phone cable would probably be easier. I used the max232 design but did away with the power tapping from the db9 port.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks. so you mean you only use GND, TX, RX and NOT the V+, right ?

also, instead of soldering it to the pins, i think i could use socket like the ones used on connect cd-rom audio cables, right ? i think it fits on the pins......then i would have a cable that i could connect and disconnect easily.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to get a soldering iron. Here is the amended schematic and photo.

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looks good. however, thats for the max232, right ? i will use a phone cable.....

i guess i will have to connect all 4, including the 5V+ to the right connections on the stripped phone cable, right? this is different from the link you posted earlier about the pioneer players, correct ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looks good. however, thats for the max232, right ? i will use a phone cable.....

i guess i will have to connect all 4, including the 5V+ to the right connections on the stripped phone cable, right? this is different from the link you posted earlier about the pioneer players, correct ?
    There are many different ways to do the same thing. I had these parts laying around from a project several years ago. Other than the chart below I have no help I can give you on the phone cable.

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/mediatek/programs/images/phone_connector.gif
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it looks we won't be getting a modded north american firmware folks. I asked vb6 numerous times and he said he only mods european firmwares to ask someone else. The others I asked never responded. So unless he has a change of heart or we do it ourselves, don't count on it being released
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I let vb6rocod know that it works on the 5990/37 with serial flash. His response was "I am in plan to mod original 5990/37/5992/37 (same firmware)".
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have a "checksum" problem, I fix this....
    For CP 1252 and CP 1250.
    Also work for 5990/05

http://rapidshare.com/files/139852338/DVP5990_12_vb6_v2_1_1250_1252.rar.html

CP 1250 (code page 1250) for Central and Eastern Europe.
    CP 1252 (code page 1252) for West Europe.

Update from USB/CD
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vb6rocod

first of all thanks for all your hard work !

i tried to flash your version, i downloaded the latest 1252 version, but i still get a checksum failed error.

any advice ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by toolman2k8
    vb6rocod

first of all thanks for all your hard work !

i tried to flash your version, i downloaded the latest 1252 version, but i still get a checksum failed error.

any advice ?
    OK, try this:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/140362592/DVP5990_12_vb6_v2_2_1252.rar.html

For future, use this forum
    http://board.softpedia.com/index.php?showtopic=9603
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    So it looks we won't be getting a modded north american firmware folks. I asked vb6 numerous times and he said he only mods european firmwares to ask someone else. The others I asked never responded. So unless he has a change of heart or we do it ourselves, don't count on it being released
    OK, so, where do we get the details of what is modded? Seems odd to old do one system since most things would be similar. A menu is a menu...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FredThompson,

I don't know if you're in the U.S. or not, but there's a list of the changes in the modded firmware for the U.S. version in the first post of this thread (I assume these are the same changes for the European Philips models). It also has a download link for the U.S. version if that's what you need:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675.html#1881697

I put it in on my spare 5990/37 a couple of days ago and have had no problems. I flashed it using the USB flash drive method they describe at Philips' site.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Yes, I'm in the US. The list in the OP is a functional list, not the same as a breakdown of how those are accomplished inside. It's been a while since I worked with machine code and think any notes I can find will help.

Now I'm confused. I thought there wasn't an NTSC version of the modified firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Change for European version 5990_12:

*new OSD font (text and graphic)
    *new filebrowser (with scrollbars, outlined font, new icons)
    *40 cahr for filelist, 44 char for DirList

*3 Mp3 TAG in filebrowser
    *JPeg preview small size at bottom of file list

*move volume from bottom to a higher position.

*Patch "Title" as "GoTo"
    *Autoload subtitle (avi)

*Patch subtitle area and subtitle window
    *Patch subtitle color scheme (use normal fonts)
    *fix "1 sec. srt. bug"
    *4 fonts for subtitle (Standard, Small, Medium and Large)
    *DVD Quick Play. I replace DivXSubtitle from "Preference Page" with new, named "DVD-Video" with two option "With menu" and "Without menu".
    *All avi (Mpeg4) menu are in "General Page". You can change fonts or color when movie is played.
    *4 fonts for subtitle (Standard, Small, Medium and Large).
    *2 color for subtitle.I use text from OSD Language and new menu is "Colour" with 2 option: "Default" - white and "Cool" - yellow.
    *WordWrap + Reformat.

Add version for all CP (code page) 1250,1251,1252,1253,1254
    http://rapidshare.com/files/140620009/DVP5990_12_vb6_v3.rar.html
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by FredThompson
    Yes, I'm in the US. The list in the OP is a functional list, not the same as a breakdown of how those are accomplished inside. It's been a while since I worked with machine code and think any notes I can find will help.

Now I'm confused. I thought there wasn't an NTSC version of the modified firmware.
    All players have option for PAL and NTSC.....
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by vb6rocod
    Originally Posted by FredThompson
    Yes, I'm in the US. The list in the OP is a functional list, not the same as a breakdown of how those are accomplished inside. It's been a while since I worked with machine code and think any notes I can find will help.

All players have option for PAL and NTSC.....
    Yes, I play PAL stuff on my American model. Most plays fine but I have a DivX which plays at 1:1 aspect ratio. That is an internal conversion, though.

I was confused until the thread at https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675.html was shown to me. I see that is your firmware for NTSC.

Earlier in this thread the comments were that such a firmware was not coming out so I thought to start looking at machine code and work on it myself. Now, I don't think that is necessary. Am I correct?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Would it be a good idea to set the firmware rev number the same for both European and American versions when they are the same?
    Quote Quote