VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't have a real proc amp device however i do have a collection of vdub filters such as Color Mill which seem to have all the basic tools required: Brightness (Luminance), Contrast (Gain), Saturation (Amplitude), Hue (Phase) corrections.

I especially would like to know the optimum / theoretical settings i could use to restore black & white levels of a ntsc vhs (a real proc amp owner might help).After that, trying to find the optimum settings with this filter would be more easier.For instance, i think for black it would be a +7.5 IRE correction but have no idea for the white.It's my understanding that the others corrections (hue,chroma saturation not sure about brightness & constrast) must be set by eye on real proc amps (no optimum / theoretical settings exist really) correct me if i'm wrong.

Currently i set/fix everything by eye and this method has its limitations as you may know.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are working in the dark unless you have a calibrated monitor path. DVD video follows the digital level 16 (black) to 235 (nominal white) rules. Anything below 16 isn't visible on a properly set monitor, excursions above 235 are visible but shouldn't carry much of the average or the monitor will bloom or clip. 236-255 levels are intended for highlights and transients.

An NTSC capture device should map analog 7.5 IRE to digital level 16 and 100 IRE to digital level 235. Digital 255 clipping represents about 108 IRE which is tighter than the NTSC 120 IRE limits.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've always wanted to get a nice monitor for my capturing setup but they seem to go for crazy prices on ebay any suggestions edDV? Also would the standard calibration DVD's work after it's in place or is there another way to calibrate the monitor and the DVD-Recorder output.
    Quote Quote