VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am having a heck of a problem for something that should be simple. I need to rip an entire DVD to DV -AVI I have read and re-read the articles here. Option 1 Virtual Dubb Mpeg and the Panasonic DV codec. This works great, for one VOB at a time. I have a music DVD and if I can only convert one at a time, it will be hell to edit them back. I need to rip a dvd with multiple VOB's to one DV-AVI.

Option 2. Xvid4PSP, I followed the article on this, selected DVD then select the output to DVNTSC and it just sticks and 26%

If any can tell me how to convert an entire DVD with multiple VOB's into one DV-AVI so I can edit in Sony Vegas that would be great. I would hate to have to rip to a lossy format and then convert to DV :O(
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the video, you may have to rip it with DVDFab HD Decrypter. Newer DVDs have more difficult encryption. After it's ripped, use VOB2MPG to get a single large MPEG file. You can then use that with VD (With the MPEG plugin added) or VD Mod and convert it to DV-AVI. I would suggest trying Cedocida DV Codec instead of Panasonic, as you may end up with better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD I'm working on was burned on a stand alone, so there is no copyguard. The Xvid4PSP acts like it's gonna take all the VOB's but during it's indexing, gets stuck at 26% everytime. and I still can't figure out if Virtual Dubb can convert more than one VOB at a time
    Quote Quote  
  4. You should be able to append vob's in virtualdub if you have the mpeg-2 plugin. They have to have the same specifications, of course.

It sounds like you have an error at the 26% mark in that file. If you play it, does it play properly at that point. If you have videoredo, try the quickstreamfix option

Since it's not copy protected, you can use either dvd shrink or dvd decrypter to rip as 1 vob (not 1GB files, it's in the preferences=> output files for dvd shrink; file=>settings for decrypter) . You can also use vobmerge
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With xVID, I go to DVD select the VTS file, it loads and then lets me preview the entire disc as one video. Then I select ok and it says indexing, it gets to the 26% and never gets past. I still see the DVD light on and the processor working, but nothing is happening. I have to go to task manager to get it to stop. The DVD I am working with was recorded in the standalone 1 hour mode, so it's a big file. As far a Virtual dubb, I have the Mpeg 2 plug-in but when you go to open video file, you can only select one VOB, you can't CTL/Shift to select them all. I see there is an option to auto load linked segments, and that is checked......
    Quote Quote  
  6. I still see the DVD light on and the processor working
    Are you saying you're not putting it on the hard drive first? Put the entire thing on the hard drive and try again. You can drag-and-drop, since you say there's no copy protection. Or, use DVD Decrypter set for no splitting and get the whole thing as one big VOB file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always say, forget working with VOBs. Tricky and annoying beasts. I personally always convert to .mpg files (MPEG-2) - quick, lossless and easy to manage and edit/encode/convert afterwards. And personally, I wouldn't want to work with a spinning disc unless I'm copying stuff off it.

My personal favorite, if you have it, is NeroVision. Import the disc and it will output the equivalent .mpg files.

I have dozens of music video DvDs - all are different. Some come with all the vidz in one file, others have them split up. Depends on how it was authored.

But once you have them in .mpg files, you can join, cut or edit them with something like VideoRedo or Womble losslessly, or encode into many formats easily with VirtualDub - which includes DV-AVI (if you still need it at this point).
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK

Yeah I was trying to convert the files from the DVD to the hard drive in DV AVI. I thought if I did it this way, there would be no loss in quality. Ripping the DVD to the drive in MPEG is not lossy? or maybe I'm thinking of each conversion that's lossy. Again here is what my goal is

Take a Home-Made DVD and transfer the files on it to one big DV AVI.

Again maybe I'm mis-understanding some of things I read, but it seems ripping the DVD VOB files to the hard drive and re-connecting them seems lossy
    Quote Quote  
  9. Again maybe I'm mis-understanding some of things I read, but it seems ripping the DVD VOB files to the hard drive and re-connecting them seems lossy
    Just moving the DVD VOB files to the hard drive via either drag-and-drop or DVD Decrypter doesn't change the files at all. Converting to DV AVI is lossy, although not very.
    Ripping the DVD to the drive in MPEG is not lossy?
    No, not unless they get reencoded. Just using something like VOB2MPEG isn't lossy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jerry1964
    OK

Yeah I was trying to convert the files from the DVD to the hard drive in DV AVI. I thought if I did it this way, there would be no loss in quality. Ripping the DVD to the drive in MPEG is not lossy? or maybe I'm thinking of each conversion that's lossy. Again here is what my goal is

Take a Home-Made DVD and transfer the files on it to one big DV AVI.

Again maybe I'm mis-understanding some of things I read, but it seems ripping the DVD VOB files to the hard drive and re-connecting them seems lossy
    Ripping the DVD to the hard drive is simply taking the digital date from the DVD and putting it on the HDD. It's a digital file copy. 100% quality.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it makes it any simpler, think of a VOB as just a container for a MPEG file, along with possible multiple audio tracks and multiple subtitles, along with some DVD formating information, all enclosed in the container. Using a program like VOB2MPG just extracts the MPEG and audio file(s). No conversion is done.

Then if you really want a DV-AVI, you can open the MPEG in VD (M) and convert it. DV is a good format for editing, about 13GB per hour of hard drive space used. If you wanted a lossless format instead, HuffyUV or Lagarith Lossless Video Codec would be two choices, but larger file sizes compared to DV. DV does have some limitations, mostly on framesize. But if you are ripping from a DVD, no problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For material I record myself I use VOB2MPG to get it from the DVD RW to the HDD for further work. No need for DVD decrypter or multiple steps. And as was pointed out, lossless as well.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I too confirm the transition to .mpg files is completely lossless if done properly with a converter. And when I mean "properly", I mean don't just rename the .vob extension to .mpg. You will have problems that way since some VOB files have segmentation and other features relevant to the DvD which will drive many edit apps insane. You must convert with an app designed to do so (as some discussed in this thread).

If you re-encode, that's another story. But we're not suggesting that.

And although converting to DV-AVI is not very lossy, it still is, and is still more lossier than a clean .vob -> .mpg transfer.

You have 0 loss in video quality with a proper .vob to .mpg conversion.

If getting your project to DV-AVI is only for editing, with highest quality retention, you may not need this step. MPEG-2 now edits very well, and quite losslessly, with applications like TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, Womble and VideoReDo. In fact, these latter apps, will get the .mpg equivalent from the DvD initially for you as well (but they're not free).

BTW - I'm curious, which music DvD are you trying to work with? I may have it. :P
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote