VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a PC newbie, but when I'm in new or unfamiliar areas I want to know what's what(to the extent I can comprehend) from those who know.

I use DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, Imgburn regularly. Also have Nero SmartStart(Used 2-3 times), ShowbizDVD2, Roxio Creator LE, Windows Movie Maker. Players include WMP, RealPlayer, the Nero player, Sonic Cineplayer, Windows Media Center Player, Quick Time for windows player, and a Divx player.

Since I started ripping as Iso file I like this way best, but, would like to watch the iso clip on my PC. Only one of these players will play the iso at all but with green horiz lines spaced in picture. Does anyone know if any of above are supposed to play the .iso, and I haven't got it to work?

From what I've read I think I may need a s/w like The KM Player or VLC Player? Who has a brief rundown on these types and what is preferable? Do both play .Iso files? Someone also told me he thought 'Daemon Tools' was this type. Don't know anything about it either.

Helpful replies much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vlc supports iso dvd-videos. I have not tried kmplayer with isos.

Daemon tools let you make/mount a virtual dvd drive from the iso file and you can then open the dvd as from an ordinary dvd drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, sounds like you have used both, how do the 2 compare and what are any big differences?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VLC is a video player that plays about any format, including ISO files. Daemon Tools is a drive emulator, not a player. KMPlayer is another popular software video player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The theory behind an .iso file is that it's really a "DvD". Even though it's a digital version of one, it's supposed to make the computer feel like it's the real thing - in other words this digital version should be loaded like the physical version (such as with Daemon Tools or Nero's ImageDrive).

So, in other words, you need to load it first, and then play it with regular DvD playback software for the computer and you should not have any problems. Your computer assumed a DvD and software responds as such.

VLC actually skips this loading step.

Think of it this way. The fact that playback software doesn't play ISOs directly is normal. The fact that VLC does is actually a bonus.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both. PuzzleR, do you know if KMplayer can also, like VLC?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Kmplayer does not play iso files.....

Umplayer do play iso directly.... Beware at install tho....each time i have installed it...it has messed with media file associations.... But beside this anoyance...It's a real gem.....The fact that it can read video files directly from youtube is a big plus too!!!
    Quote Quote