VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A problem occurred to me when trying to connect my DVD player (with HDMI functionality) to my Panasonic LCD screen.

The first thing I tried was connecting the DVD player directly to the TV with just a single HDMI-cable. This did give me a signal, but the player didn’t recognize the tv-screen as an HDMI recipient (the player shows this with a led.). Also, the picture was horrible (flickering) when it was on ‘auto’ (which would be PAL- I’m in Europe). The strange thing is I did get an NTSC signal, which was good, but still only 480p. Didn’t have any sound either.

After this I tried connecting the DVD player with both a SCART (RGB) AND the HDMI cable. Now when I turn on the TV, it recognizes the SCART/RGB and jumps to the AV channel. After a few seconds, the LED on the DVD player starts glowing, to show it recognizes the TV as an HDMI recipient. Now I can switch to the HDMI channel of the TV and adjust the settings to actual HDMI settings (like 720p, etc.). Big problem is, this is still only possible with an NTSC signal! The PAL signal is still flickering like hell. So at the moment I have no way of using the regular PAL signal. The NTSC mode looks all right, but since I mostly own PAL DVDs, the picture isn’t optimal (rough edges on pans, etc.).

Now I have 2 concrete questions:

1. Do I have to use both the SCART/RGB and the HDMI cable when using my DVD player in combination with this TV? (When I want to use the HDMI). Or should it be possible with just the HDMI cable?

2. Does anyone understand how it’s possible I can’t get a clear signal on the PAL, but only a flickering one? I haven’t got a clue how it’s possible that NTSC works ‘fine’, but I can’t get a clear PAL signal.

I’ve tried all the simple solutions, like checking cables, using different ones, using different ports, etcetera.

The TV is a Panasonic TX-32LX70L, about a year old. And the DVD player is a tad older Pioneer DV-490V (the one with HDMI-out). The HDMI cable is just a simple one, but I don’t think that’s creating this problem.

Hope someone’s got an idea, thanks in advance!

BTW. If this topic isn’t placed correctly, feel free to put it somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably some things you are already aware of, but HDMI is a digital signal, similar to DVI. And RGB, component, composite, is a analog signal, similar to VGA.

If your display has a digital input, then HDMI, DVI may work. Not sure what a digital display would do with a analog input. But others may be able to give you some better information.

And this isn't concerning DVD Recorders. Moving you to DVD & Blu-ray Players forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I understand. But when using the digital HDMI connection on your DVD -> TV, is it really neccesary to still use an RGB/Scart connection? It would seem logical that just an HDMI connection would be enough.

Thanks for moving by the way!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Markaveli
    when using the digital HDMI connection on your DVD -> TV, is it really neccesary to still use an RGB/Scart connection?
    It shouldn't be. I connect my DVD player to my TV with only an HDMI cable. But maybe there's something peculiar about your player or TV.

If the player is upscaling to 720p over HDMI (with SCART connected) jagged edges are a sign of poor upscaling, not PAL/NTSC problems. Both PAL and NTSC 720p will use the same progressive frame size (1280x720). Jerky playback might be a problem though (60 Hz vs 50Hz).
    Quote Quote  
  5. What region code is your Player set to?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, does the player have menu settings for HDMI out?
    It should be set to 1280x720p at 50Hz not 59.94.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. The player doesn't have a region code.

When the 'HDMI'-led starts burning (Which seems to be random, and only when the RGB/Scart is connected) I can get to the menu of the HDMI settings. I use the 720p settings, and there are no other options there (except for a 1080p setting). NTSC is working allright for me, except for the random acceptation of the player/tv combo as HDMI. So sometimes I have to turn the player off, and on again for it to be recognized... Doesn't make any sense.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Most likely explanations:

(1) Your HDMI cable is defective.
    (2) Your DVD player is defective.
    (3) Your TV is defective.

Can you try each of them with another unit, preferebly one that is known to work on the input/output that you are using?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Markaveli

The HDMI cable is just a simple one, but I don’t think that’s creating this problem.
    To be blunt, this is your first mistake. I work in IT for a living and I solve problems every day as part of my job.
    Once you have decided with no evidence at all that something "can't" be the problem, it is game over. Look, either
    you need help or you don't. If you don't need help, go away. If you need help, then stop deciding what isn't the problem.

Yes, your simple HDMI cable might be the problem. I have a very cheap HDMI cable and it mostly works, but I have learned from experience that I have no choice in the matter when I use it. If I want to use the DVD player that is connected via HDMI to my TV (I have another player connected by component cables), I MUST WITHOUT EXCEPTION power on the DVD player prior to switching to HDMI input on my TV or the signal won't get set up right and my TV will give me a message that it can only show my DVD in 480p mode instead of 1080p mode. I would not rule out your cable. Why did you? See if you can borrow another cable from a friend and try it and see if that fixes your problem.

Your cable may not be the problem, but nothing you have said leads me to conclude that it's impossible for it to be the problem here. OldAmateur is right and you are going to have to test each item individually until you figure out which it is. I'd start with the cable.
    Quote Quote  
  10. First of all, thanks for all the profound replies.

On the matter of the cable: If you read my first post, I actually did try a different HDMI (less cheap) cable between the DVD player and the TV, and it gave the excact same issues. I'm not ruling it out as an possibility, but I still don't think the cable is the (main) problem. For some reason I think the problem is somewhere in the way the DVD player sends it's HDMI signal, or the way the TV receives this signal.

If I want to use the DVD player that is connected via HDMI to my TV (I have another player connected by component cables), I MUST WITHOUT EXCEPTION power on the DVD player prior to switching to HDMI input on my TV or the signal won't get set up right and my TV will give me a message that it can only show my DVD in 480p mode instead of 1080p mode.
    You say "the signal won't set up right", do you happen to know if there's a technical reason for this? Or 'it just is'? Since it actually sounds pretty similar to my problem. Except I also have the RGB connected, so it firstly autmaticly switches to AV channel, after which I go to HDMI (only when the HDMI light on the player goes red). If I don't, it also says "480p" on the TV (and there's no sound). Plus, it doesn't always work. I actually think that if I turn on the player WITHOUT a disc in it, it works better then when there's already a DVD playing, or on the 'resume'-mode (which isn't really logical either). I tried turning it on six times in a row yesterday with a disc in it, and it didn't get the HDMI signal. When I took out the DVD, turned off, and on again, it did work. Maybe this has something to do with the player 'setting itself up' for the HDMI output.

Once again, thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You're probably having an HDCP handshake issue which you won't be able to do anything about. Unless you can get updated firmware for the DVD player or TV.
    Quote Quote